Common Module

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Raftsman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Common Module

Post by Raftsman »

I would like to create a common module that would be used multiple times to populate our Operation Data Mart. The Operational Data Mart contains start and end times, failure or successes, counts etc. This common module would be a unique DS program that would accept parameters and write records to the data mart. The problem we face is that multiple sequences may call the same program simultaneously and DS doesn't like this.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how we may accomplish this without creating multiple duplicate programs. It seem odd that DS doesn't handle reuseable modules to well.

Thanks,
Jim Stewart
kris
Participant

Re: Common Module

Post by kris »

Raftsman wrote: The problem we face is that multiple sequences may call the same program simultaneously and DS doesn't like this.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how we may accomplish this without creating multiple duplicate programs. It seem odd that DS doesn't handle reuseable modules to well.

The special program, is it a DS Job? If it is you can enable multiple instances feature on this Job and use it so that each sequence will call an instance of this special Job.

You can enable this feature for any job in the Job Properties.

Hope that helps.
~Kris
Raftsman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Raftsman »

Dam, I should of ask this question sooner. I ran into this problem months ago and the IBM engineer specifically told me that I need to run in multiple instances but he forgot to tell me that there was a check box. I assumed different datastage instances.

Thanks
Jim Stewart
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

When you use multiple instance jobs you can access the macro - I think it's called DSInvocationID - as though it's a job parameter. You can use it in file names and in transformers. It's handy for passing in a code to an instance and embedding it into your file paths and file/dataset names.