DataStage Warning....

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

akhila.chitti
Participant

DataStage Warning....

Post by akhila.chitti »

Hello,

I have tried running a load job, wherein I am trying to load data into a table from a fixed-width seq file. The warning I get is:

fsqRecType1Customer.lnkCustRead: read_fixedwidth() - row 1, too many columns in record

Later on when I have used another transformer in the job wherein I have tried using the function Substrings, it stopped giving these warnings. What is the difference it made? Also, what could be the optimal solution to remove these warnings?

Thanks in advance,
Akhila.
Akhila Chitti
Software Engineer
HSBC, GLT.
Hyd.
us1aslam1us
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by us1aslam1us »

You might have to check two things. Check whether you are reading your column names as the first record in the first and the second will be any line terminators or carriage returns at the end of first record. For the first case you can go to the sequential file stage properties and make first line as column name option active and in the second case view the first few lines in any hex editor and delete any line terminators or non-printable characters from the records.
I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.
Thomas Alva Edison(1847-1931)
neena
Participant

Re: DataStage Warning....

Post by neena »

you can suppress those warning messages by using message handler management in DS director->tools
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

"Too many columns in record" stems from the fact that the total of column widths (field widths) is less than the actual number of characters in a row (record) in the data.

That it worked subsequently suggests that the later set of data had the correct number of characters per line.

One cause of this can be that the file has DOS-style line terminators (two characters each), but your job design specifies UNIX-style (one character each).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.