Not able to see environment variables in Administrator

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

madhukar
Participant

Not able to see environment variables in Administrator

Post by madhukar »

Hi All,

Not able to see any project environment variables in Administrator.
I tried with reindexing. Reindex was successful but env variables didn't come up in the project.

Any suggestions...

Regards,
Madhukar
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Check to see whether anyone has removed the DSParams file from your project directory on the server.

If they have, kill them.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
madhukar
Participant

Post by madhukar »

Ray,

As you are always...you got it.
somebody had edited the DSParams file.
But couldnot get the culprit as all users use same log in.

Thanks for the help

Regards,
Madhukar
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Alas, you'll need to kill them all!
:lol:
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
krystlecsy
Participant

Post by krystlecsy »

I am curious to know does the DSParam file gets generated by every Project? Is this a requirement? What if the file does not exist in the Project folder?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The DSParams file is created when the project is created.

If the file does not exist then many things, such as the Administrator client, the Expression Editor, and so on will not work.
krystlecsy
Participant

Post by krystlecsy »

Can I also know that if we were to automate the process of updating the DSParam file, will it immediately reflect the value changes in the Administrator?

Do you have any idea of doing so?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

The process of updating the DSParams file *is* automated and not something you generally need to worry about. What do you mean by your statement? Can you be more specific?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If you mean migrating the changes wrought in one project to another project, then the answer is no. The vendor has never given any official reason for this though, off the record, the view was expressed that one would expect the environment variables to be different in different projects and therefore set up via the Administrator client in each project.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

That was my assumption as well of the meaning behind the query, but wanted the interloper to spell it out. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
krystlecsy
Participant

Post by krystlecsy »

Actually I am not focusing on the migration of the DSParam, what I had in mind is to automate the process of updating a value in DSParam monthly in order for the reflect the latest changes during the job execution every month. Has anyone done that before? :?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No but, since DSParams is a text file, it could easily be done with appropriate care not to break the file.