Datastage |Working with Cobol files(EBCDIC-ASCII Conversion)

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dheeraj.kishore
Participant

Datastage |Working with Cobol files(EBCDIC-ASCII Conversion)

Post by dheeraj.kishore »

Hi,

We are importing a copybook file for the Metadata which contains packed decimals, redefines clause and the indexed by clause.
It imports it fine.
But when I use the CFF stage and load the load datafile (which is in EBCDIC format) by associating with the COBOL file and try to view/translate the data, following error throws up.I tried after removing indexes as well-same result.

Throwing exception:APT_badAlloc:heap Allocation failed

My questions are:

1. Does datastage support EBCDIC-ASCII conversion if the copybook contains REDEFINES clause, arrays and the packed decimals?
2. As the error suggests, it might be memory related issues.What are the settings that needs to be done to avoid running out of memory?
3. What are the different options that need to be set when using CFF stage or importing the COBOL metadata in such a case.

Specifications

DS version:8.0
Database:DB2

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

~Dheeraj
dheeraj.kishore@gmail.com
~DJ
Aruna Gutti
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Aruna Gutti »

I Struggled a lot with this when I wanted to use CFF stage to map a VSAM file with Comp-3 usage along with several occurs and finally get it to work.

I FTPd the file into server as binary and used the following record options in CFF stage.

Data Format : Binary
Character Set : EBCDIC

I imported Cobol FD and flattened the arrays. With this I can map and view my data perfectly in CFF Stage.

Good Luck,

Aruna.