Date conversion

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

balu124
Participant

Date conversion

Post by balu124 »

Hi ,

I am getting the data from sequential file,in that the data for the date column is in the format of dd-mon-yyyy(Ex 29-sep-07).

I need to extract month number and month name from it .
fro extracting date and year I useed left() ,Right() . How to get the substring of thedate field.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

In a transform stage you can use the derivation "In.DateColumn[4,3]" to get "sep" from "29-sep-07"
balu124
Participant

Post by balu124 »

ArndW wrote:In a transform stage you can use the derivation "In.DateColumn[4,3]" to get "sep" from "29-sep-07" ...
Hi Arndw,
I used the derivation as "DSLink17.CALL_DATE(4,3)" I got the output as DSL. (DSLink is the name of the input link and the call_date is the name of the column)

I used the derivation as "In.DSLink.Call_date[4,3]" I got the output as In.

Can you please lookinto this....
Maveric
Participant

Post by Maveric »

Copy Paste your exact derivation here. You can use the field() function. Field(input Date field name,"-" ,2) will give you "sep" as the output.
balu124
Participant

Post by balu124 »

Maveric wrote:Copy Paste your exact derivation here. You can use the field() function. Field(input Date field name,"-" ,2) will give you "sep" as the output.
Hi Maveric
May I know where the field function available ( I mean under date functions or string functions....)
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

balu124 - you need to use DSLink17.Call_date[4,3]
balu124
Participant

Post by balu124 »

ArndW wrote:balu124 - you need to use DSLink17.Call_date[4,3] ...
Hi Arndw,
I used the same DSLink17.Call_date[4,3] ,I am getting DSL as output.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Change the data type of this field in the Sequential File stage from Date to VarChar(10) or Char(10). You can then extract the day number and month name using Field() function (especially if the day number may contain one or two digits) or substring (if the day number always contains two digits). Convert month name to month number using something like Index() function searching a string containing all twelve month names. For example:

Code: Select all

(Index("JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec",svMonthName,1)+2)/3
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.