Project Corrupt

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dspxguy
Participant

Project Corrupt

Post by dspxguy »

Hi we are getting this error message when trying to compile jobs or trying to create a copy.

Record xxxxxx in file DS_JOBS does not exist.

We did a DS.REINDEX ALL ( made sure no one was logged in to clients)

Then did

SELECT DS_JOBS WHERE NAME='JOBNAME';

0 records listed.

But when I do

SELECT DS_JOBOBJECTS WHERE NAME='JOBNAME';

I get this

Compiling "OBJTYPE".
FIELD (@ID, \, 1)
Compiling "OBJINDNO".
FIELD (@ID, \, 2)
Compiling "OBJNAME".
FIELD (@ID, \, 3)

Object type......J
Object record id....1112
Object record name...Root

1 record listed.

Why is it showing 0 records when doing select on ds_jobs?

Thanks
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You have to use a real job name, not literally 'JOBNAME' in the select.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
dspxguy
Participant

Post by dspxguy »

chulett wrote:You have to use a real job name, not literally 'JOBNAME' in the select. ...
yea in that case , I used the real job name :D
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Then everyone was in fact not out of the project and the REINDEX failed. You should try again.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
trokosz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by trokosz »

If there are any outstanding locks then the re-index does not work. Unlock then re-index.
dspxguy
Participant

Post by dspxguy »

trokosz wrote:If there are any outstanding locks then the re-index does not work. Unlock then re-index.
You guys might be right, I did check for the clients attaxched to the project, and there was none, but i did not check for any locks that were already held.

anyways, we will delete the whole project and create a new one and import the dsx from another dev box.

by the way, when we take a backup of a project which is by dsx and the other way we can do is by do a tar on the project folder from unix side, so if the project is corrupt and i take a tar of the corrupted project and then delete the corrupted project and make a new one with the same name and then un tar the project files in the new project...what will be the impact? how is tar and taking dsx different in DataStage when it comes to Universe internal table stuff?

please let me know your views

Thanks
dspxguy
Participant

Post by dspxguy »

trokosz wrote:If there are any outstanding locks then the re-index does not work. Unlock then re-index.
You guys might be right, I did check for the clients attaxched to the project, and there was none, but i did not check for any locks that were already held.

anyways, we will delete the whole project and create a new one and import the dsx from another dev box.

by the way, when we take a backup of a project which is by dsx and the other way we can do is by do a tar on the project folder from unix side, so if the project is corrupt and i take a tar of the corrupted project and then delete the corrupted project and make a new one with the same name and then un tar the project files in the new project...what will be the impact? how is tar and taking dsx different in DataStage when it comes to Universe internal table stuff?

Thanks
dspxguy
Participant

Post by dspxguy »

Thanks
trokosz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by trokosz »

I don't believe your Project is corrupt and that you have to recreate...Just do a UNLOCK AL and then re-index and I'm sure your fine....

The tar backs up the filesystem which is the Project and all its files and you recover the entire Project.....The dsx backs up the Job designs, objects and so on within the Project itself and you can recover a single Job...Choose your poison
dspxguy
Participant

Post by dspxguy »

trokosz wrote:I don't believe your Project is corrupt and that you have to recreate...Just do a UNLOCK AL and then re-index and I'm sure your fine....

The tar backs up the filesystem which is the Project and all its files and you recover the entire Project.....The dsx backs up the Job designs, objects and so on within the Project itself and you can recover a single Job...Choose your poison

Yeah that's right, but when you do a tar of the whole project and later on delete the project and recreate a new one with the same name then when you preserve the tar projects file in your new project, how will the jobs associate to the new project, becasue all jobs in the project are pointing to a project number something which is the old project.
I am not sure how does universe handle these things internally?
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

If you restore the UNIX objects from a saved project directory to the same path then everything will work as most DataStage internal references are local and those few (but important) absolute paths used will also remain the same.