Null handling with Date column

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

joesat
Participant

Null handling with Date column

Post by joesat »

Hi,
I am trying to redesign a Cosort program into PX. Right now I am checking out the metadata details. The input file has a date column which can have null values.
As reported in different topics in this forum, I set the metadata as Date(10) with Nullable property to 'Yes' and the Null Field Value to a default value (9999-12-31). In spite of doing this, the records with null values for this field are getting rejected.
I changed the datatype to Varchar and then the record is retained. Why is it not accepting Date with Null values?

I have also tried other options like setting the Default property and Format string. Yet the problem still persists. Any inputs will be appreciated greatly.
Joel Satire
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

What happens when you just specify a nullable column and set none of the optional attributes?
joesat
Participant

Post by joesat »

If I use it as you say I get the following warning for each record of the input,
When checking operator: When validating export schema: At field "DATE_COLUMN": Exporting nullable field without null handling properties
Joel Satire
joesat
Participant

Post by joesat »

If I use it as you say I get the following warning for each record of the input,
When checking operator: When validating export schema: At field "DATE_COLUMN": Exporting nullable field without null handling properties
Joel Satire
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Ahh, I neglected to think about the inability to write nulls to a sequential file. If you change the date output to 9999-12-31 (are you 100% that is your correct default date format?) and check the output file, do you have 9999-12-31 in that column?