sequential:50 out of 200

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mcs@rajesh
Participant

sequential:50 out of 200

Post by mcs@rajesh »

Hello Everybody,
I have a paticular job in that i need to send only first 50 rows of records out of 200 from the source plugin to the other plugins can any one tell a simplest way to do this...
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If it's in sequential mode use a Filter command that invokes the head command. Otherwise use a downstream Head stage.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
mcs@rajesh
Participant

hi

Post by mcs@rajesh »

ray.wurlod wrote:If it's in sequential mode use a Filter command that invokes the head command. Otherwise use a downstream Head stage. ...
Thanks For ur reply, i tried with this but am not getting correctly..can you walk through the steps..
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

SequentialFile ----> Head ----> other stages

What - precisely - did you try?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Ramani
Participant

Post by Ramani »

I think there should be something to do with the partition for this. Because the propery Number of rows to copy from input to output is per partition.

So what is the partition type here. Is it "Entire"

Thanks
Ramani.
mcs@rajesh
Participant

Post by mcs@rajesh »

ray.wurlod wrote:SequentialFile ----> Head ----> other stages

What - precisely - did you try? ...
Based upon my business rules i need pass first 50 out of 200...
mcs@rajesh
Participant

Post by mcs@rajesh »

Ramani wrote:I think there should be something to do with the partition for this. Because the propery Number of rows to copy from input to output is per partition.

So what is the partition type here. Is it "Entire"

Thanks
Ramani.
Thanks for ur reply the partition used here is round robin.. I dont think Entire partition will work for this job...
stefanfrost1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by stefanfrost1 »

If I am not misunderstanding this entirely, you want to read the 50 first rows from a sequncial file!?!

So using a sequncial file stage (in sequncial mode with one reader) and a filter with the specification head -50, will only provide you with one node containg the first 50 records of your file. If you later decide to partition this data for some processing thats fine and you will only be processing those 50 rows spread across your configuration.

You could also use external source stage with the command head -50 <filename> for the same effect (remember not to read the data using more nodes because that will probably give you 50 records per node)
-------------------------------------
http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/bi-aj
my blog on delivering business intelligence using agile principles
balajisr
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by balajisr »

If all you need is to read first 50 rows from the sequential file then Set "Read First Rows" property in sequential file stage to 50.