code review

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kavuri
Premium Member
Premium Member

code review

Post by kavuri »

Hi,
I had designed some jobs. My client want to review code (i.e actually review designed jobs). How he can perform a code review. Is there any way?

Thanks
Kavuri
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Of course. There's always a way.

Start by asking the client where they believe the code to be. DataStage, as they can see, is a graphical tool.

You can certainly perform a walkthrough. Start at the top level job sequence. As you reach each activity, at least for the important ones, right click and choose "Open" to drill down to the controlled activity, and explain that.

Use the documentation tool (the IE-like icon second from the right in the Designer toolbar) to produce reams of documentation - hand that to the client and seek their comments.

Do not, ever, reveal the underlying code. They'll only want to change it, and that's not permitted. Except in routines.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I like using the generate HTML report feature in the Designer - it gives a bitmap of the job and you can click on a stage and jump to the properties for that stage. Most people don't go past the picture. It helps to have a lot of annotations to ease the path of code reviews.
kavuri
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by kavuri »

Thanks
Kavuri