Unable to Open Expression Editor in Transform Stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Jewels
Premium Member
Premium Member

Unable to Open Expression Editor in Transform Stage

Post by Jewels »

I am not able to open the expression editor located in the Transformer Stage when attempting to define an output column derivation. This is the box with the ellipse where one can select columns or functions.

I previously had a problem with not being able to open job properties in the Sequencer Job and downloaded dsclient_xpsp2 patch and successfully fixed that problem. Is it possible that the expression editor problem I'm seeing is caused by this patch or did it already exist and is just not resolved by the patch?

I couldn't find any other posts specifically related to this. Might the Expression Editor be called by another name?

I am able to manually enter a column name or function.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If you right mouse on the expression field does a menu appear? If so, is "Edit Derivation" on that menu? If so, what happens when you select that option?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Jewels
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Jewels »

No menu appears - it's basically a dead icon
Jewels
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Jewels »

Upon further review - my real problem is not being able to access the "Suggest Operand Menu"

to clarify - the ... icon is not enabled, but I can right click within the derivation box to show the possible options - Edit Derivation Appears - I can Manually enter a derivation or column name - but cannot access the "Suggest Operand Menu" as defined in the Help menu - here's a text sample of that menu:

DS Macro
DS Function
DS Constant
DS Routine
DS Transform
Job Parameter
Input Column
Link Variables
Stage Variables
String
Function
() Parentheses
If Then Else

It also doesn't work on the Stage Variables section or on an output link
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I haven't heard of this problem before. Is this limited to your client workstation - if so, then the patch probably caused the problem.
Jewels
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Jewels »

ArndW wrote:I haven't heard of this problem before. Is this limited to your client workstation - if so, then the patch probably caused the problem. ...
Yes - this is specific to my client - others have no problems

I haven't been able to try a reinstall yet as I telecommute from out of state to my home office and this application requires using the discs instead of an online load.

Do you have any info about possibly uninstalling the dsclient_xpsp2 patch? I'm a developer and not very "system" savvy, so I'd prefer a link to a download if available. I just can't risk killing the whole app until I'm back in the home office where I can access the install discs in case I really screw things up.

Thanks for replying :)
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I haven't actually installed the patch so I don't know what is involved; although if it was a "packaged" install it should be removable from the control panel and the system state prior to the patch will be restored upon deletion.
Jewels
Premium Member
Premium Member

RESOLUTION: Tools - Options - Expression Editor - Check boxs

Post by Jewels »

By chance I happened to come across an option called Expression Editor in the Tools - Options menu. All of the 4 check boxes were unchecked. I checked them all and was then able to access the Expression Editor Menu options from within a Transformer Derivation.

Perhaps these boxes are not checked by default after an installation and the issue I experienced with not being able to Open Stage properties on a Sequencer canvas just happened to occur at the same time. I do NOT think they are related.