Kill -9 command - datastage process.

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Raghavendra
Participant

Kill -9 command - datastage process.

Post by Raghavendra »

What will be the impact on a datastage process PID if we issue kill -9 command. In one of the thread ray suggested NEVER use Kill -9 on a datastage process. We have used it couple of times for killing the long running process but didn't face any problems.

Thanks in advance for DS Gurus
Raghavendra
Dare to dream and care to achieve ...
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Using kill -9 does not let the cleanup after itself. It is similar to turning off the power to your PC. You can ameliorate the damage by having the lock daemon running, it can usually remove the locks left open. In a worst case scenario the process could be writing to a DS system file and leave that file corrupt - potentially ruining a whole project. I have haven't seen it happen yet, but it could.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

NEVER use kill -9 on a DataStage process. There are too many interdependencies. If you must kill the process (which I doubt you should ever need to do) use a gentler method such as kill -15. This gives the process a grace time in which it can clear up resources.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Raghavendra
Participant

Post by Raghavendra »

Arnd and ray many thanks for your answers.
Raghavendra
Dare to dream and care to achieve ...