DSJob command to a variable

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

g_rkrish
Participant

DSJob command to a variable

Post by g_rkrish »

Hi
I am doing one script in which am trying to put the linfo i.e the number of records of a file into log file so what i did was i did the ds job command and did a grep and cut command to get the num of records and here is my command

dsjob -linkinfo Projectname Jobanme stagename Linkname | grep 'Link Row Count'| cut -c18-30

It works fine...

But my requirement is i need to append to a file in specified format ... so it shopuld be like
for ex:

Records : 72222

so what i did was i did like

print 'Records :' | dsjob -linkinfo Projectname Jobanme stagename Linkname | grep 'Link Row Count'| cut -c18-30 >> filename

it not doing anyhting...

so i itred to put into a variable say

set var1 = `dsjob -linkinfo Projectname Jobanme stagename Linkname | grep 'Link Row Count'| cut -c18-30 `

and do like printf 'Records : $var1' >> myfile.txt

it not doing any thing either the funny part is am not geeting any error either..Pls help me out.....
RK
Ultramundane
Participant

Re: DSJob command to a variable

Post by Ultramundane »

g_rkrish wrote:Hi
I am doing one script in which am trying to put the linfo i.e the number of records of a file into log file so what i did was i did the ds job command and did a grep and cut command to get the num of records and here is my command

dsjob -linkinfo Projectname Jobanme stagename Linkname | grep 'Link Row Count'| cut -c18-30

It works fine...

But my requirement is i need to append to a file in specified format ... so it shopuld be like
for ex:

print 'Records :' | dsjob -linkinfo Projectname Jobanme stagename Linkname | grep 'Link Row Count'| cut -c18-30 >> filename

it not doing anyhting...

set var1 = `dsjob -linkinfo Projectname Jobanme stagename Linkname | grep 'Link Row Count'| cut -c18-30 `

it not doing any thing either the funny part is am not geeting any error either..Pls help me out.....
- This is not valid because you are passing the string Records: into the program dsjob.

- This depends on what shell you are using.

printf 'Records : $var1' >> myfile.txt
- You used single quotes.

What shell are you using? Do you want the string in variable or would simply using awk to add the "Recods: " suffice?
g_rkrish
Participant

Post by g_rkrish »

Ultramundane wrote:

It works fine...

for ex:

it not doing anyhting...

- This is not valid because you are passing the string Records: into the program dsjob.

What shell are you using? Do you want the string in variable or would simply using awk to add the "Recods: " suffice?
I am using korn shell...... also i tried with the double qutoes it is not doing any thing for the var1.....

Thanks,
RK
Ultramundane
Participant

Post by Ultramundane »

g_rkrish wrote:
Ultramundane wrote:

It works fine...

for ex:

it not doing anyhting...

I am using korn shell...... also i tried with the double qutoes it is not doing any thing for the var1.....

Thanks,
That's because set is not doing what you expect. In Korn Shell "set" is used to create arrays or set certain session settings.

Get rid of the set and just do (make sure you no spaces before or after '='):
var1=`dsjob -linkinfo Projectname Jobanme stagename Linkname | grep 'Link Row Count'| cut -c18-30`

print "Records : $var1"
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Why would you want to do this? This may not work in the next release.
Mamu Kim