SQL server 2005 and DS 801

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ds_is_fun
Premium Member
Premium Member

SQL server 2005 and DS 801

Post by ds_is_fun »

I need to configure SQL Server 2005 hosted on a different server to DS 801. I have already checked earlier posts and it seems we could connect to SQl Server 05 through ODBC stage in DS. In addition I have also checked Datadirect connections supported drivers and yes! I see SQL Server 2005 listed.
So, while I'm assuming I could connect to SQL Server 2005 through DS 801. I understand that I need to config the drivers on the SQL server 05 drivers on the dB host machine and config the ini files on DS host machine.
When I connect from Designer client do I use ODBC connector? I need to list the Data source name and uid and passwd.

Is there a difft way to config SQL server 05 and be able to use ODBC enterprise stage from above?

Pl. let me know if I'm correct.
Thanks!
Those who throw objects at crocodiles should be asked to retreive 'em.
ds_is_fun
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ds_is_fun »

I should perhaps also say..
What is the difference between ODBC connector stage and ODBC Enterprise Stage?
Thanks!
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

A connector is a preconfigured connection. It's part of the new technology in version 8.0 - you don't need to waste time reconstruction connections in every job.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ds_is_fun
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ds_is_fun »

So, what is the difference in connecting to remote SQL Server from -
ODBC connector stage, ODBC enterprise and Dynamic relational stage?
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I would go with the connector stage. It's got the best re-use value - you configure the stage once and save it as a connection for use it in many jobs. You can use the Connector object from the table definition import menu. It has some handy job parameter features such as letting you create new job parameters in the stage.