Unable to open descriptor file to create - Fatal Error

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vij
Participant

Unable to open descriptor file to create - Fatal Error

Post by vij »

hi all,

I have a strange problem. I have copied jobs from Production Environment to Development Environment and i have to modify the job with few additional stages. For the stages which are copied, if I right click, "Properties" option is not highlighted and for the other stages which are added newly, it is highlighted.

Also, when I have imported from Production it was "READ ONLY" and I have made it to NRO, inroder to use it.

And now, i get these fatal errors, wen i run the jobs:
1.main_program: Unable to open descriptor file to create: No such file or directory
2.main_program: Error writing ORCHESTRATE File Data Set descriptor for 'location/File_name'.

Can any one pls throw some light on it?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

How, exactly, did you 'copy' the jobs? How did you make it NRO?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
vij
Participant

Post by vij »

It is not copy, sorry, export from Production and imported to Development Environment and I made it NRO by the following command:
UPDATE DS_JOBOBJECTS SET READONLY = 'NRO' NAME ='Jobname'
vij
Participant

Post by vij »

It is not copy, sorry, export from Production and imported to Development Environment and I made it NRO by the following command:
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

And how many records did that statement update? Hint: there's no job name in DS_JOBOBJECTS.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ds_debasis
Participant

Post by ds_debasis »

vij wrote:It is not copy, sorry, export from Production and imported to Development Environment and I made it NRO by the following command:
Hi
If you exported as .dsx file. Please open that on notepad or any text editor, find all readonly and set the value to 0 ( or 1 if it is 1 than 0 or vice versa). I had the same issue before.

-Debasis
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

It also seems as if you have hard-code paths to file objects in your job and haven't changed them for the new machine.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There's a WHERE word missing from your UPDATE statement! You might also need to change the job's record in DS_JOBS.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vij
Participant

Post by vij »

Hi all,

thanks for ur replies. yes there is a where clause missing in the command and I have used the correct command and made it unread and modified the jobs also, now when I run a job, following fatal errors, occured:

main_program: Unable to open descriptor file to create: No such file or directory
main_program: Error writing ORCHESTRATE File Data Set descriptor for '/work/data/ds_DATA.ds'.
main_program: Fatal Error: Could not create output file '/work/data/ds_DATA.ds. filesystem related error

And I had a doubt whether is the above error occured because the jobs are imported from different environment and is there a link between the above error with the "Properties" option not highlighted , when I right click on any stage.

Pls help me solving this.

Thanks,
Vij
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I guess you missed my earlier post, so I'll repeat myself:
It also seems as if you have hard-code paths to file objects in your job and haven't changed them for the new machine.
vij
Participant

Post by vij »

Hi ArndW ,

We have not hard coded any values, all of them are parameters only, any ways let it check it again.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

You job is telling you that "'/work/data/ds_DATA.ds'" does not exist.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

... or that /work or /work/data do not exist
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vij
Participant

Post by vij »

yes, the file path was incorrect, so it cant create the ouput file. Thanks all.