Absence of the "Command Stage" in DataStage Server

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ratuldey
Participant

Absence of the "Command Stage" in DataStage Server

Post by ratuldey »

Hi,
I am currently working on DataStage Server Edition 7.5.2 in UNIX environment. I have recently come across an information about a particular processing stage known as "Command Stage". This stage is available under Processing Stages only in DataStage Server Edition 7.5x2 and NOT in version 7.5.2.
I would like to know the functionalities of this stage and why has this been excluded from v7.5.2?
If possible do send some useful links where I can get more information regarding this stage.

Please Note: Command Stage is NOT the same as "Exec Command Stage" which we use in Job Sequences.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

It's not a version number issue - the 'Command' stage is only available on Windows servers, not UNIX based ones as it is a Windows specific stage. You don't need it.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ratuldey
Participant

Post by ratuldey »

According to a certain PDF document that comes with this plug, it says, "The Command Stage is an active stage that can execute various external commands, including DataStage engine commands, programs, and DataStage jobs from anywhere in the DataStage data flow. You can execute any command, including its arguments, that you can type to the shell of the operating system, such as Windows NT or UNIX. Examples include Perl scripts, DOS batch files, UNIX scripts, and other command-line executable programs that you can call if they are not interactive" ---

So isn't Command Stage used in UNIX?
Is this stage solely for the Windows versions then?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

The Command stage is like a Sasquatch - I've worked on UNIX servers all of my DataStage life and yet I've never seen it. When I asked about it here many moons ago, I was told that was because it is only installed on Windows servers so that's what I passed along. More than that, I know not.
-craig

ratuldey
Participant

Post by ratuldey »

That's fine...
Thanks for the confirmation!!!
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

This is one of those fun ones that deserves a bit of history. The Command Stage was built for a customer as a short-cut way to provide execution of external shells and activities, and was built initially on Windows either because it was initially simpler or that's the OS that this particular customer required.... it was built and released right about the time that we finished the specification and commitment dates for (I think) release 5 and the first release of the Job Sequencer. While not _exactly_ the same thing, the Command Stage was considered to be made obsolete by the Job Sequencer and its ability to run external things and "then" lead to execution of a job. Whether right or wrong in hindsight, a conscious decision was made not to port the Stage to any other platform... so it remains a Windows only implementation.

Ernie
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Thank you Uncle Ernie. :wink:

Why are they still distributing it if it is 'obsolete'?
-craig