The job is extremely slow after join

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

xicheng_my_love
Participant

The job is extremely slow after join

Post by xicheng_my_love »

I have to Sequence File joined,then transformed,then upsert into Oracle.
Reading from Sequence File is about 25000 rows/sec,but after joining the link shows that it is about 50 rows/sec,it is intolerable.
Then I find that when upserting into Oracle many records are rejected.Maybe there is too much space in my data,so it is too long for the datatype(varchar) specified in the Oracle and this makes Oracle rejects records.
I set the Environment Variable APT_STRING_PADCHAR to 0x00,and use trim() in the Transformer.This works,the job runs fast.
But there is another problem,if I use trim() in the Transformer,because some trimmed fields of some records are null,so these records are dropped and this is not conformed to the business logic.
How can I solve this problem?thanks.
a newbie to an expert
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Put a HandleNull() call in the derivations where you TRIM data that might be null and where you don't want it to be. Or a simple

Code: Select all

IF IsNull(In.Col) THEN SetNull() ELSE TRIM(In.Col)
xicheng_my_love
Participant

Post by xicheng_my_love »

I use substitution derivation in the Transformer,this is what I do:if isNull($1) then setNull() else trim($1).but it still can not work.thanks.
a newbie to an expert
balajisr
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by balajisr »

You might be using $1 elsewhere in the transformer. Please check it.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I had no idea that $1 works in a transform stage. What value gets used?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

$1 (indeed regular expressions) are used in Derivation Substitution, not in derivation expressions themselves. For example, if you have 200 VarChar columns and want to apply a Trim() function to all of them, select them all then right click and choose Derivation Substitution from the menu. The rest is explained in the GUI.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.