Advantage of using Build-op over tranformer or any stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

manishsk
Participant

Advantage of using Build-op over tranformer or any stage

Post by manishsk »

Hi

This is a bit open-ended question.

In one of the jobs i am developing I used build-op instead of transformer for column level tranformation. Although I didn't have much data but in future it is more likely that i will get huge amount data for the particular job.

I was just thinking, is there any advantage over using build-op over transformer for 1 or 2 column level transformation. ( in my job it was actually used for a range lookup, i used Join stage [left outer join] and build op (check min max between condtion) to solve the purpose). As far as I know using transformer it creates a separate child process and separate object code. Does it happens with build-op too?

Also i usually prefer using join/merge stage over lookup, and transformer stage? Does build-op gives any advantage w.r.t performance over here apart from the simplicity of the code? Anything else you can think of please let me know w.r.t. advantages please let me know.

Thanks,
M
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

These days what a Transformer stage is, to all intents and purposes, is a BuildOp generator. Look at the generated code to see what I mean - though it's rather better documented than a lot of user-written BuildOps!
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
manishsk
Participant

Post by manishsk »

ray.wurlod wrote:These days what a Transformer stage is, to all intents and purposes, is a BuildOp generator. Look at the generated code to see what I mean - though it's rather better documented than a lot of user-wr ...
Can't see your reply as I am not a pemium member. Anyways thanks for the reply. Anyone has anything else to comment please put on as will be helpful to others too.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You only missed a word and a half! And unimportant ones at that. On that basis I've removed the Premium flag.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
manishsk
Participant

Post by manishsk »

ray.wurlod wrote:You only missed a word and a half! And unimportant ones at that. On that basis I've removed the Premium flag.
Thanks a lot ray!

I think you are correct, the question came in my mind simply because i felt the build-op's might get treated as part of complete generated code than having separate object code of it like transformer, which may in turn give some sort of performance benefit. but thats not the case.

Thanks.