Ways to improve performance for table updates

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kool78
Participant

Ways to improve performance for table updates

Post by kool78 »

Hi,

wht are the possible ways to improve performance when doing Oracle table updates.

i thought of Indexes, splitting up inserts and updates..

let me know any ways to improve the performace, my update job is taking longer time to update the records

any help is appreciated.

thanks
"Attitude always and almost determines the altitude of your Life"
avi21st
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Ways to improve performance for table updates

Post by avi21st »

kool78 wrote:Hi,

wht are the possible ways to improve performance when doing Oracle table updates.

let me know any ways to improve the performace, my update job is taking longer time to update the records

any help is appreciated.

thanks
Delete and then bulk load can be a option. Again if Oracle you can truncate a partition and load a new one if the load is on a monthly basis. Actually there are a lot of ways. Please provide more info on the background.

Thanks
Avi
Avishek Mukherjee
Data Integration Architect
Chicago, IL, USA.
kool78
Participant

Post by kool78 »

avi21st wrote:

any help is appreciated.

thanks
Delete and then bulk load can be a option. Again if Oracle you can truncate a partition and load a new one if the load is on a monthly basis. Actually there are a lot of ways. Please provide more info on the background.

Thanks
Avi

we have a dimension which has a load_date column, so almost all the rows of the dimension gets updated daily, its a diaily run.
avi21st
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by avi21st »

kool78 wrote:
avi21st wrote:

any help is appreciated.

thanks

Thanks
Avi

we have a dimension which has a load_date column, so almost all the rows of the dimension gets updated daily, its a diaily run.
What is the database?
Avishek Mukherjee
Chicago, IL, USA.
kool78
Participant

Post by kool78 »

avi21st wrote:
kool78 wrote:
avi21st wrote: Delete and then bulk load can be a option. Again if Oracle you can truncate a partition and load a new one if the load is on a monthly basis. Actually there are a lot of ways. Please provide more info on the background.

Thanks
Avi

What is the database?
Oracle 10g
avi21st
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by avi21st »

kool78 wrote:
avi21st wrote:
kool78 wrote:
What is the database?
Oracle 10g
Delete the updated records...then bulk load both insert+updates to the database works faster than updates. Else put them in Sequential file and do a Oracle import (SQL wrapped in shell script). What is the data volume and the time taken
Avishek Mukherjee
Chicago, IL, USA.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Run Oracle on bigger hardware - mainframe perhaps.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.