Difference between ODBC and DRS stage for SQL Server

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

JeroenDmt
Premium Member
Premium Member

Difference between ODBC and DRS stage for SQL Server

Post by JeroenDmt »

We need to make connection with SQL Server from Datastage. I was wondering what the difference is between using the ODBC (Enterprise) stage or using the DRS stage to connect to SQL Server. I think they both use the ODBC driver (being on Unix).

Is there any reason to use the ODBC Enterprise stage or the DRS stage?
Why would you use one or the other?
abc123
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by abc123 »

When writing to SQL Server, on version 7.5.1A, ODBC stage cuts off the first character for character columns and DRS stage cuts off the last character. I find out DRS stage better. It is more powerful.
JeroenDmt
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by JeroenDmt »

So it's a matter of which character is more important: the first one of the last one? :lol:

Why do you find DRS stage better?
abc123
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by abc123 »

It seems to have more options to do things. Also, there is a way around this last character cutoff. There are certain drivers that you need to install (IBM has them) or you can add a space and increase output column length by 1 in a transformer right before writing to the table.
us1aslam1us
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by us1aslam1us »

From my understanding DRS stage has both the ODBC and Native API connectivity(Like connecting to Oracle or other DBMS) whereas ODBC stage only uses Open Database Connectivity. As far as performance is concerned it depends on you requirement and the approach in your design.
I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.
Thomas Alva Edison(1847-1931)