Oracle Database access

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

keshav0307
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by keshav0307 »

to check if the table and its related objects exists or not.
parameswar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by parameswar »

keshav0307 wrote:to check if the table and its related objects exists or not.
Hi Keshav,
Thanks for your reply.
I told my DBA the same thing what u have told. But he is not convinced with this to give me the select privileges. Could you please help me to provide valid reason so that I can convince DBA to get these privileges.

Regards,
Parameswar
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Because it's REQUIRED and the expensive product your company purchased does not work without them - what the heck else does he 'need' to know? And it's just select privileges, for heaven's sake, not truncate or rearrange or randomize that you need. I really don't understand DBAs that get all puckered up and protective of some views just because they have 'DBA' in their name. :roll:

Search the forums for one or two of these privs, like DBA_EXTENTS or DBA_DATA_FILES, you'll find this has been discussed before. One of them should provide you with the verbiage you're looking for.

Or just go over his head. Let your management know your team can't do their work without it and your DBA is holding everything up by refusing to do what he needs to do. That should help convince him to 'do the needful'. :P
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
parameswar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by parameswar »

chulett wrote:Because it's REQUIRED and the expensive product your company purchased does not work without them - what the heck else does he 'need' to know? And it's just select privileges, for heaven's sake, not truncate or rearrange or randomize that you need. I really don't understand DBAs that get all puckered up and protective of some views just because they have 'DBA' in their name. :roll:

Search the forums for one or two of these privs, like DBA_EXTENTS or DBA_DATA_FILES, you'll find this has been discussed before. One of them should provide you with the verbiage you're looking for.

Or just go over his head. Let your management know your team can't do their work without it and your DBA is holding everything up by refusing to do what he needs to do. That should help convince him to 'do the needful'. :P

Thanks Chulett. That is fine. Here question is why I should not use ODBC stage to read data from oracle instead of asking such privileges. Is it because of performance issue or any other reasons are there.

Regards,
Param
parameswar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by parameswar »

chulett wrote:Because it's REQUIRED and the expensive product your company purchased does not work without them - what the heck else does he 'need' to know? And it's just select privileges, for heaven's sake, not truncate or rearrange or randomize that you need. I really don't understand DBAs that get all puckered up and protective of some views just because they have 'DBA' in their name. :roll:

Thanks Chulett. That is fine. Here question is why I should not use ODBC stage to read data from oracle instead of asking such privileges. Is it because of performance issue or any other reasons are there.

Could anybody help me in getting some logical points of giving importance to Oracle enterprise stage then the ODBC stage ?

Regards,
Param
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Not sure why you would even consider using a 'generic' stage like ODBC over a 'native' stage for any database unless you had absolutely no other choice. And 'absolutely no other choice' basically means there is no native stage available for your database.

You would lose any Oracle-specific functionality the Oracle Enterprise stage brings to the table via the use of those views by 'downgrading' to the ODBC stage, not to mention performance.

However, bottom line, it's your choice.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
parameswar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by parameswar »

chulett wrote:Not sure why you would even consider using a 'generic' stage like ODBC over a 'native' stage for any database unless you had absolutely no other choice. And 'absolutely no other choice' basically means there is no native stage available for your database.

You would lose any Oracle-specific functionality the Oracle Enterprise stage brings to the table via the use of those views by 'downgrading' to the ODBC stage, not to mention performance.

However, bottom line, it's your choice.
Is ther any difference in performance using oracle stage and ODBC stage ? What i am thinking that performance will be better if I will use Oracle enterprise stage in reading data then ODBC stage. If I am wrong please correct me.

Regards,
Parameswar
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Define "performance" in an ETL context. Rows/sec is almost totally meaningless (search forum for my reasons). It really depends on how good the ODBC driver is how close it gets to a native driver. As a general rule, however, ODBC needs an extra layer of software (driver manager) as well as has to "translate" between ODBC standards and native standards, so ODBC is less likely to "perform" as well (whatever that means) than the database's native client software, particularly for insert and update. Select can be nearly as good, or woeful - it depends on which ODBC driver you use.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
parameswar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by parameswar »

ray.wurlod wrote:Define "performance" in an ETL context. Rows/sec is almost totally meaningless (search forum for my reasons). It really depends on how good the ODBC driver is how close it gets to a native driver. As a general rule, however, ODBC needs an extra layer of software (driver manager) as well as has to "translate" between ODBC standards and native standards, so ODBC is less likely to "perform" as well (whatever that means) than the database's native client software, particularly for insert and update. Select can be nearly as good, or woeful - it depends on which ODBC driver you use.
Thanks Ray :) .

Param