importing job from a protected project

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

djoni
Participant

importing job from a protected project

Post by djoni »

I'd like to share my new experience here.

As part of my company standards, all projects in QA must be protected.
And, all jobs promotion to Production server must be from QA.
Turned out that the jobs carry their "protection" status when they land in the Production, though the importing Production project is not protected yet.

Cheers,
Djoni
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

djoni - That is the way it is supposed to work, once you have a "protected" status any copies of that job should also be unchangeable. I think it makes sense to do it in this fashion.
djoni
Participant

Post by djoni »

ArndW wrote:djoni - That is the way it is supposed to work, once you have a "protected" status any copies of that job should also be unchangeable. I think it makes sense to do it in this fashion.
Yes, it's good. I was thinking that the importing project determined the protection status of its jobs, because there's no facility to protect by job.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

No, the 'protection' - which in this case is actually 'ReadOnly=1' - comes along for the ride during the export from a Protected Project. If you wanted to lose it, you'd have to edit the dsx before you imported it anywhere else.

ps. Interesting that QA is protected but Production is not.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
djoni
Participant

Post by djoni »

chulett wrote:No, the 'protection' - which in this case is actually 'ReadOnly=1' - comes along for the ride during the export from a Protected Project. If you wanted to lose it, you'd have to edit the dsx before you imported it anywhere else.

ps. Interesting that QA is protected but Production is not.
When we finished migrating jobs from QA, the importing project in Production was then protected. We didn't protect the Production's project at the beginning because a few of the jobs had Stored Proc stage that required some manual DBMS adjustments, hence compilation.