Datastage on Unix v/s Linux Environment

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ruchikabareja
Participant

Datastage on Unix v/s Linux Environment

Post by ruchikabareja »

Hi,

Please let me know if you have any pointers to the following:-
- Benefits/Disadvantages of using Linux over Unix for Datastage Server
- Datastage Performance on a Linux Server v/s Unix Server
- Any Issues involved with the migration of a Datastage application from Unix to Linux

Thanks,
Ruchika
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Since Linux is just another flavor of UNIX there is little difference in performance based on the OS. The major differences will be noticed with the underlying hardware. There should be no problem 'migrating' from one to the other-.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You will need to exchange your server licence. That would be true for any change-of-UNIX strategy (such as HP-UX to Solaris) - it's not specific to Linux. Make sure you have a compatible Linux; DataStage is very choosy about working on Linux - basically it won't work on unsupported ones, and even if you change the kernel (except as noted in the DataStage install guide) in one of the supported ones you can get into trouble.

And, of course, if you're going to install Enterprise Edition (as suggested by the forum in which you chose to post this question), you need first to install a compatible C++ compiler.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
alexysflores
Participant

Re: Datastage on Unix v/s Linux Environment

Post by alexysflores »

[quote="ruchikabareja"]Hi,

Please let me know if you have any pointers to the following:-
- Benefits/Disadvantages of using Linux over Unix for Datastage Server
- Datastage Performance on a Linux Server v/s Unix Server
- Any Issues involved with the migration of a Datastage application from Unix to Linux

Thanks,
Ruchika[/quote]

I don't see any pro's and con's of migrating from Unix to Linux flavors, its all about how much do you want to spend $$$$. Linux is already a mature OS for enterprise arena.

:D

Alex