Exposing jobs to webservice

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ag_ram »

Hi All,

We have special requirment from our client. We need to build the jobs in datastage and need to expose it to webservice. The webservice will execute the job.

1. Can we expose more than one job as webservice ?
2. If more than one will be exposed then how can webservice will execute one after another.
3. Can we expose sequencer to webservice.
4. Please let me know what are basic installables for exposing jobs as webservice and webservice calling a job (2 way)

I have worked on datastage for last 8 months but never worked on webservice. Can i have any material on this exposing job as webservice.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Seems to me there's a difference between 'exposing jobs' to a Web service versus as a Web service, yet you've seemed to use both interchangeably. Which of the two are you actually asking about? Or is it both?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ag_ram »

Hi

Immediate requirement is for exposing jobs to webservice.

But I need installable requiment list for both ways.

thanks.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Do you have SOA edition licensed?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ag_ram »

Hi Ray,

We are going to install SAO edition. But before that, we have no idea how this webservice works out.

Can you please put some light on specifoed questions mentioned in the first post.

It will be great helpful to us.

thanks
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Without even basic knowledge of web services, I don't see how you'll even get the SOA Edition installed and configured, let alone be able to use it. Do you currently have any kind of 'service oriented architecture' or capability in your company? People willing to pitch in and help with this? :?

You either need to attend a class or three, or bring in a consultant to get things up and running and then ground you in the basics of the product. Maybe even build your first job or two. That was the route we took, without doing that the software would probably still be shelfware.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

We ought to move this thread over to the WISD (RTI) forum...., but as others are saying, this needs some preparation. I like to think that we do a good job of covering a lot of the hard stuff for you, but just the same, it's not something that you move into lightly. RTI (or WISD in v8) is a separately licensed option, and brings with it additional infrastructure that may or may not be right for your situation. Classes, research and a consultant (or three) is in order......

...that being said, give us bit more detail on what you are trying to do? What is the application that wants to invoke you (your DS transformations) as a web service? Does it want to just "kick off" a classic DS job and use a web service as the trigger mechanism? Does it want you to perform a tranformation of a single row that is sent by that client, and send back the answer? These and many other questions (traffic expectations, payload size, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.) need to be addressed....

Ernie