Waiting for File

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ewartpm
Participant

Waiting for File

Post by ewartpm »

I have a job sequence that has two 'wait for file' stages. The triggers from the 'wait for file' stages are set to OK.

:? For some odd reason, the job sequence does not issue the two wait for files immediately. Only one wait for file is issued. When that file arrives, the next wait for file is issued. In this particular case, the one file is already there but not processing is done because the sequence is waiting for non-existant file.

Has anyone come accross this situation before? If so, how did you get around it?
(I would prefer not to write a Unix script or split the job sequence into several sequences).
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Describe the design of the Sequence job.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Look at the generated OSH. Unfortunately this IS how it works. Once first wait starts waiting, nothing happens till it returns. You'd have to "roll-your-own" to implement simultaneous waiting. This would not be difficult in a before-job subroutine or in a routine called from a Routine activity. The default is a "sleep wait".
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Ah... that would be true, waiting is waiting is a singleton process.

Wasn't aware a Sequence job generated OSH, however.
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

:oops:

Look at the generated Job Control code
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
BIuser
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by BIuser »

If you do change the code in the job control and someone else makes a change to the job at a later stage, will the job control be recreated i.e. will my "roll your own" change be overwritten?

(The problem with editing the code is that the next person doing maitenance on the job will not read the documentation about the code being changed. His changes will generate new code and ooops not more "roll your own").
-------------------------
https://www.ssa.co.za
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

BIuser wrote:If you do change the code in the job control and someone else makes a change to the job at a later stage, will the job control be recreated i.e. will my "roll your own" change be overwritten?
Of course. No-one suggested changing the generated code, merely that it be examined to help explain the issue. That and to perhaps provide a basis for some custom code executed elsewhere, hence the mention of a before-job subroutine.
-craig