Someone should create a uv/dssh primer or How-To manual

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bcarlson
Premium Member
Premium Member

Someone should create a uv/dssh primer or How-To manual

Post by bcarlson »

Has anyone ever run across good documentation for the uv or dssh commands? There are topics all over that mention different things that can be done with these, but they are all over the place. If you don't know how to search for it or specific search keys, you may never find it.

Seems like someone should create a primer or How-To manual for these tools. I just used the DS.REINDEX ALL command last week for the first time. It is mentioned in this forum a few times, but heaven forbid there should references in the DataStage documentation.

Just a thought...

Brad.
ady
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ady »

I would like to see that happen too...... :wink:
asorrell

Ask and ye shall receive (shortly)...

Post by asorrell »

Walter is in the final stages of editing some excellent work done by Mr. Ken Bland on that very topic. Stay tuned...
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
bcarlson
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bcarlson »

By the way, just in case anyone argues that V8/Hawk erradicates the need for UniVerse-related documentation, keep in mind that not everyone converts right away.

My company has a 'version minus 1' policy that says we keep within 1 version of the most recent. For DataStage, we are on 7.5.2, which means we are within 1 version of the most current. That doesn't mean we won't go to v8, it just means that there is less push to upgrade.

As it stands right now, we are not even considering upgrading to v8 until AT LEAST Q4 of this year, more likely Q1 or Q2 of next year.

I'll be looking forward to Walter's work! Thanks for the info!

Brad.
Last edited by bcarlson on Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcarlson
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bcarlson »

So what is the status of Walter and Bland's work? Has anyone heard?

Brad.
Bryceson
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Bryceson »

Let's hope Andy's message got to Walter!! If that doc become available, it will be very helpful.

Bryceson
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What sort of price range would you be contemplating?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Bryceson
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Bryceson »

At least, I think will worth market value price for those who will need it.

Bryceson
bcarlson
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bcarlson »

ray.wurlod wrote:What sort of price range would you be contemplating?
Hey, I'm at a bank and we are full of money, right? Hmmm, except our division is non-retail and we have to beg and plead for everything... Do fake dollars count? I have Monopoly money!

If it was in book form (like tech book pricing) as opposed to a formal training class, it would be more approachable. Technical books tend to range from $25 to $100 and are more easily purchased by the individual as opposed to getting management authorization to spend a couple grand on training.

Brad.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

I posted a training flash video which shows how to install EtlStats. That might help you some. My tips page also has a few SQL statements which might help.
Mamu Kim