Increasing datastage job performnace

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Abhilasha
Participant

Increasing datastage job performnace

Post by Abhilasha »

Hi,

I have developed a job, which select records from 1 table and inserts into other table.

I have used Informix enterprise stage for source table and target table. I have transformer stage for mapping the columns.

The source table has huge amount of data. Currently its more than 10,000.

I want to increase the performance of this job. So that it loads data with greater speed.

Please suggest me some tips to increase the performance of this job.

Thanks,
Abhilasha
samsuf2002
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by samsuf2002 »

i dont think 10000 is huge by the way how much does it take now to run the job?
hi sam here
Abhilasha
Participant

Post by Abhilasha »

Right now for 10000 its taking 4-5 mins. And later the size of table is expected to be more, so it will go upto 100,000 records or even more.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Manage expectations better.
Get faster hardware and more memory.
Drop indexes and constraints from the target table. If that's not acceptable, use bulk-loader technology for the inserts.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Abhilasha
Participant

Post by Abhilasha »

can u suggest some approach with existing resources and technology.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Abhilasha - have you identified your bottleneck? Is it CPU, I/O, Memory? Have you tested with different number of nodes in your configuration file to get the optimum for that job? Are DS and Informix on different machines (if yes, is the network bandwidth sufficient)?

These are just the first questions whose answers you need before deciding what to do in order to increase performance.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Abhilasha wrote:can u suggest some approach with existing resources and technology.
Manage expectations better.
Drop indexes and constraints from the target table. If that's not acceptable, use bulk-loader technology for the inserts.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

You really should be loading those 10,000 records in a much shorter time. Your job will have array size in the database stage that you can increase. You can use the bulk insert stage for faster inserts. You should have a DBA monitor the load to see if there is any type of table locking that is slowing it down. You may be able to add an index to the table to make updates run a lot faster (if there are any). You should check the connectivity between DataStage and the database server for bottlenecks.