Basic installation vs complete installation

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sun rays
Charter Member
Charter Member

Basic installation vs complete installation

Post by sun rays »

We are planning to upgrade to information server 8.0.1 from DataStage server 7.5.2. I was wondering what is the main difference between basic installtion and a Complete installation.
I know that the basic installation just upgrades all the components in the currrent location, so that we don't have to take care of any dependencies and it also preserves the existing directory structure. Where as complete installation is a fresh installation most probably on a new machine or existing machine(after uninstalling the previous versions). I would like to know what are the disadvantages of basic installtion before we are inclined towards basic installation, as it appears to be easy.
Thanks for any help !
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I think you are better off exporting all your DataStage components, uninstalling version 7 and performing an 8.0.1 install and importing. This will be easier to rollback and restart if the install fails. You can put your Metadata Server (domain layer and repository) on a separate machine to your DataStage Server to free up RAM and CPU resources for DataStage job execution.
sun rays
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by sun rays »

vmcburney wrote:I think you are better off exporting all your DataStage components, uninstalling version 7 and performing an 8.0.1 install and importing. This will be easier to rollback and restart if the install fails. You can put your Metadata Server (domain layer and repository) on a separate machine to your DataStage Server to free up RAM and CPU resources for DataStage job execution.
Thank you for the reply.
What I unbderstand is, from the rollback point of view it is better to do a complete installation. Other than that, all the features remain the same in both the installations.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I've tried the custom install instead of the basic install and on some products it gives you the option to remove a particular component but on most there are no options. For example with DataStage Client I was able to remove the multi client manager but that was the only optional component. For the Federation Server I was able to remove a couple wrappers I didn't need.
sun rays
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by sun rays »

Thanks a lot. That's all I needed.