Restarting Datastage Services

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rexsmith
Participant

Restarting Datastage Services

Post by rexsmith »

I had my job locked especially RTCONFIGnnn file. Our Datastage Server went to routine maintainence on the same evening. They normally restart the DS engine but to my surprise i had my job still locked after the reboot .I had to ask admin to unlock the files. Some body can tell me what could be the reason?
battaliou
Participant

Post by battaliou »

Stopping and starting your datastage services will not necesserally unlock your jobs. This is because the datastage client server connect is persistent. What you need to do at UNIX is:
netstat -na|grep 31538

This will tell you which processes are connected to the engine and what state they are in. If they are in a CLOSE_WAIT state, then wait a while and they should die after a few minutes. Of course, if you're sure everyone has logged of, login into the uv account of datastage as dsadm and go:
UNLOCK ALL

I've never had a problem using this command, but use it wisely.
3NF: Every non-key attribute must provide a fact about the key, the whole key, and nothing but the key. So help me Codd.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

There's no way your job was locked after a reboot of the server. I suspect the server was not rebooted (use uptime command to verify) and that the services were never recycled (ps -ef|grep dsprpcd and look at the start time of the daemon).

Next time you have a lock, use the UNLOCK USER nnnn ALL command from the DS Engine project (UV) to release locks for your job number. Search the forum for more history about this.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

A lock on RT_CONFIGnnn usually indicates that someone has a Monitor open on job number nnn. This will properly prevent the job from being recompiled, which would overwrite the RT_CONFIGnnn table from which the Monitor is obtaining some of its information.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.