SIGPIPE signal caused by closing of the socket on port x

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rmelzer
Participant

SIGPIPE signal caused by closing of the socket on port x

Post by rmelzer »

Hello everybody,
here is a new user of this forum. We started the implementation of a new datawarehouse project using Information Server 8.0.1 two months ago and there are still a number of problems to face.

I already used DataStage 6 Server Edition for quite a while and I was trained on Enterprise Edition 7.5, but with little hands on experience.

Now here is a question for You:
A job that ran a couple of times with normal behaviour now throws a warning like the one from the Subject line and shows no performance statistics.

Did this ever occur in any of your jobs?
many greetings from the beautiful City of Hamburg

Roland
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard. :D

The underlying architecture is radically different in version 8.0 and chances are that more processes, possibly on separate machines, will be involved. There is the repository database (Information Server), there is a WebSphere Application Server exposing services such as the metadata delivery service and security services, and there is the DataStage server that is consuming these services. At anywhere there pipes could be involved.

In a parallel job environment there might also be pipes involved communicating between player processes, particularly when repartitioning in an MPP environment.

It is almost impossible to determine after the event what might have closed the socket. You probably need to use a network sniffer of some kind, activated prior to running the job.

Is this problem readily reproducible, or did it occur only once, or does it occur intermittently?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Aruna Gutti
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Aruna Gutti »

Hi Roland,

I am new to Version 8.0.1 too. We just installed ver 8 and I am trying to migrate some sample jobs from Ver 7.5.2 to version 8. One of the test jobs I miigrated is giving the exact same SIGPIPE warning and job seems to be hung up after that.

Did it your job ran to completion after the SIGPIPE warning ?

Many Thanks,

Aruna.
Aruna Gutti
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Aruna Gutti »

Hi Roland,

Please ignore my earlier question. I figured out the warning by looking at 'JobMonApp.log'. Now the warning is gone and the job is running.

Regards,

Aruna.