NLS, codepages and locales on Parallel jobs

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rcanaran
Premium Member
Premium Member

NLS, codepages and locales on Parallel jobs

Post by rcanaran »

I've installed Enterprise addtion on a standalone machine to test NLS support. From Administrator, I first ADDED several more codepages and then rebootoed the machine. After that, I was able to add several codepages Under NLS / SERVER Maps. But the INSTALL button is dimmed for NLS / PARALLEL Maps (and Parallel locales). Can parallel not have multiple codepages?

I have a mix of English and French EBCDIC characters to process and these must go BACK to the same charcters on output as well. The codepages that match my needs most closely are EBCDIC 037 or IBM 047.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard. Bienvenue.

Install is usually only dimmed if you are logged in without Administrator privileges.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rcanaran
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rcanaran »

Thanks.

I can install codepages under the SERVER tab, but not under PARALLEL. Could I be admin in server, but not in parallel?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Ah. No. Further research is required. :?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rcanaran
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rcanaran »

OK. I must be missing something. Why is no further research required :?:
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

There's a period between the two. :wink:

Ray's 'no' was in answer to your 'Could I be admin in Sever but not in Parallel?' question. He then commented that 'Further research is required' in an effort to solve your problem.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
rcanaran
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rcanaran »

Thanks for pointing that out. :oops:

Since this is on a Windows platform, I was wondering if anyone had tried this on a linux/unix platform.
rcanaran
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rcanaran »

I'm using a workaround :

1) use a utility on the mainframe (DFSORT, SYNCSORT or FILEAID) to UNPACK the packed and binary data to display numerics.

2) edit the file layout to match the data record with the unpacked numbers

3) transmit the datafile (FTP, Universal Command, IND$FILE) WITH translation to ASCII (with CR/LF) -- STDIN -MODE TEXT or -TRAILINGSPACES YES -- its easier to use codepages with transmit products, so here is where you specify the correct codepage, or use the product default.

4) Now datastage doesn't have to deal with translation OR packed/binary data. Best to use Sequential Stage to read the file (for PX, anyway), since CFF seems to use only 7-bit ASCII instead of 8-bit (UTF-8 ?).