table definition

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dspxguy
Participant

table definition

Post by dspxguy »

i am trying import table definition for cobol file.

i am doing these followng steps, in cff columns tab --load--table defoinitions- import- cobol file definitions--
after that
(Seen from) field has WINDOWSXPPRO
and then i try to insert the path name of cobol file and it cannot find the file residing on the server.

Would appreciate if someone helps me out.
Thanks
ds_developer
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ds_developer »

Your description makes it sound like you are trying to load the table definition from the CFF stage (in Designer). Is that right? Table Definitions are first loaded using DataStage Manager. Once they are loaded in Manager, they can then be loaded into the stages in Designer.

Hope this helps.

John
dspxguy
Participant

Post by dspxguy »

yes I am doing from Manager, but when I try to Import metadata for cobol file definitions , , why do I see WINDOWSXPPRO in the Seen from field box
ds_developer
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ds_developer »

Now I understand. It is looking on your workstation, not on the server. Move the COBOL CFD file to your workstation.

John
dspxguy
Participant

Post by dspxguy »

John-

when I try to import it and go under the folder where i saved it in my workstation I dont see it as a .cfd file. its just a file ( but it is not a .cfd)
BTW why it is not looking in the server and why in my workstation when i try to import any definition?
any suggestions?
ds_developer
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ds_developer »

What kind of file is it? Can you open it with a text editor like Notepad? From the Import from file dialog box, you can change the file type from *.cfd to *.* then you should at least be able to see it. That's not to say it will be imported properly.

John
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DataStage expects to import from COBOL FD files on the client - the reasoning is that they are most likely to have been emailed to the DataStage developer. So search on the client machine - put them somewhere with a short, easily-remembered pathname, such as C:\COBOL_FD

Tip: When importing from a COBOL FD you must provide the column position of the level 01 item.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You need to specify in what column the level 01 item is. Try 8 (a common start column).

However, what you have posted is NOT a COBOL file definition. A CFD is pure text. Does it need to be converted from EBCDIC?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
dspxguy
Participant

Post by dspxguy »

Yes Ebcdic to ASCII
csrazdan
Participant

Post by csrazdan »

dspxguy wrote:Yes Ebcdic to ASCII
What you are looking at is data file. Why you need is COBOL Copybook to create metadata and this metadata will be used to read data file using CFF stage. Using CFF stage you can also convert data from BINARY to ASCII.

COBOL copybook is a simple text file which you can read using any editor and you need to have this file on your client machine. Data file has to be on the server for DataStage to read it.

Hope it helps..........
Assume everything I say or do is positive