Sequential File Stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Raftsman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Sequential File Stage

Post by Raftsman »

I am trying to write a sequential file and for some unknown reason, all my records are being rejected, The flow shows that records are being passed to the stage but the job detail show the records being rejected. I selected "overwrite", "Final delimeter" :end, Delimeter: comma, and quote :". The file layout is Char. I usually use dataset and necer had a problem. I would like to use sequential.

Can someone shed some light.

Thanks
Jim Stewart
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Any warning/error message?
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
Raftsman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Raftsman »

No that's the problem. there are no error or warnings. Here is the log

Sequential_File_37,0: No further reports will be generated from this partition until a successful export.
Sequential_File_36,0: Export complete; 0 records exported successfully, 74 rejected.
Jim Stewart
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Try changing char to varchar. Do you have a reject link?
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
Raftsman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Raftsman »

Yes I have a reject link and as well, the record are rejected when writing to the file. I thought it was a permissions error but the file has fill write access.

I will try varchar but if you want numerics or any other formats in your sequence file, it kind of defeats the purpose.
Jim Stewart
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Get rid of the reject file so that the error messages pop up in the log. Once you know the culprit, fix the error and then put the reject file back.
Raftsman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Raftsman »

I must elaborate more. The reject link is on a Lookup Stage, not the write sequential stage.
Jim Stewart
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Well without warning messages its hard to tell whats going on. Make sure you are not sending any nulls to not null columns, all lengths are correct and no data mismatch, i.e, sending non-numeric characters to numeric fields etc.
ON second thought, the lookup might be failing and hence all records are going down the reject link and not in your target file. Possible???
Maveric
Participant

Post by Maveric »

The warning that u pasted clearly says that "No further reports will be generated from this partition until a successful export". Post the first warning that is generated. Anyway one reason for the records being rejected could be because of NULL handling. Are u handling the NULLs? Since null cannot be written to a sequential file it will reject the record. And also set the property 'Reject Mode' to fail. If there is a reject the job aborts. This is like a double check.
Raftsman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Raftsman »

Thanks, the problem was with the Null values. I had to handle them in order to avoid rejects.
Jim Stewart