Incompatibility between DataStage and IBM DB2 64 bit

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

abhilashnair
Participant

Incompatibility between DataStage and IBM DB2 64 bit

Post by abhilashnair »

Recently, I worked on a project in my organization, in which we removed all such before job and after job scripts from DS jobs(server as well as PX), which were loading a DB2 table.

The reason for this we were told that we were going in for a DB2 upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit. So if there is a before job script or after job which loads data into the DB2 table, the DS job will fail.

The root cause was not conveyed to us.

May I know any specific reason for this?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

DataStage is a 32bit application on most platforms. I doubt you'll find they are truly incompatible, but instead you must use the 32bit libraries to access it rather than the 64bit ones.

You do this by ensuring the proper libraries are listed first in the appropriate 'library path' environment variable for your platform.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
csrazdan
Participant

Post by csrazdan »

Since DataStage is 32-bit application you will have to install 32-bit DB2 client to connect to 64-bit DB2 database.

In Oracle also you use lib32 libraries to connect to Oracle database from DataStage.

Hope it helps.......
Assume everything I say or do is positive
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

...and make very sure that $APT_ORCHHOME/lib appears in the shared library search path ahead of ANY database client library.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
abhilashnair
Participant

Post by abhilashnair »

But why is it that only before and after job script fails. If the DB2 table is accessed by a DS job, it does not fail? I am not able to understand this.

Btw, the script used is a Korn Shell Script and the DataStage server is on Unix. We connect through Windows
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If a before-job subroutine fails, nothing else in the job happens.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
abhilashnair
Participant

Post by abhilashnair »

csrazdan wrote:Since DataStage is 32-bit application you will have to install 32-bit DB2 client to connect to 64-bit DB2 database.

In Oracle also you use lib32 libraries to connect to Oracle database from DataStage.

Hope it helps.......
How is that possible? We should connect through a 64 bit client to 64 bit server. That makes more sense right?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Not when you are talking about a 32bit application.
-craig

abhilashnair
Participant

Post by abhilashnair »

Need some more insight into this whole thing. I am still not clear. Can anyone provide any link or something which has information on this?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The 32-bit DB2 library is required because DataStage IS a 32-bit client. The 32-bit DB2 library is entirely capable of communicating with a 64-bit DB2 instance.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

If you still aren't clear on this by now from the various threads on the topic here, I'd suggest you call your official Support provider. Have them see if they can explain it to you and help you set it up.
-craig

abhilashnair
Participant

Post by abhilashnair »

ray.wurlod wrote:The 32-bit DB2 library is required because DataStage IS a 32-bit client. The 32-bit DB2 library is entirely capable of communicating with a 64-bit DB2 instance. ...
In that case the job should not fail while trying to load a table.
Then why it is failing?