Issue with Cobol File

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

december7
Premium Member
Premium Member

Issue with Cobol File

Post by december7 »

Hi,
I am trying read a cobol file that has been ftped in the binary mode from mainframe environment to windows.
I am able to import the CFD(Cobol file definition perfectly), not at all an issue.
But when reading the file , I am getting some junk values in the "view data".(CFF Stage)
Can you please help me.I am seeing those problems only with COMP-3 fields.

Or can anyone tell me the way to convert this COBOL file to ASCII mode, so that I can define the meta data for the file and easily read the file.
Is it feasible at all.

Thanks,
Naresh
nynali
Participant

Re: Issue with Cobol File

Post by nynali »

december7 wrote:Hi,
I am trying read a cobol file that has been ftped in the binary mode from mainframe environment to windows.
I am able to import the CFD(Cobol file definition perfectly), not at all an issue.
But when reading the file , I am getting some junk values in the "view data".(CFF Stage)
Can you please help me.I am seeing those problems only with COMP-3 fields.

Or can anyone tell me the way to convert this COBOL file to ASCII mode, so that I can define the meta data for the file and easily read the file.
Is it feasible at all.

Thanks,
Naresh
Try giving record options in the CFF stage as EBCIDIC,BINARY,NATIVE ENDIAN and try to view the data now.
nynali
december7
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Issue with Cobol File

Post by december7 »

Hi,

I mentioned in the Record options as you told, I tried this option already. I am getting the following error.

"Error executing View Data command:
##E TOIX 000159 09:53:55(013) <Complex_Flat_File_0,0> Short read encountered on import"

Will there be any NULL in the COBOL input data, there is a field for me called NULL_1, but when I import the CFD, the NULLABLE column is not checked for this field.
Is there any relation between Binary/Text to ASCII/EBCDIC?

Thanks,
Naresh