Mainframe and Datastge

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

nynali
Participant

Mainframe and Datastge

Post by nynali »

Hi,
I have NDM transmitted a Mainframe file in ASCII mode to UNIX and then I used this UNIX file as input to my DS job.
The problem here is I have SIGNED numeric and PACKED decimal fields in the input file.So what is the best way in DS to handle such files.
nynali
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

CFF stage support these datatypes.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
nynali
Participant

Post by nynali »

kumar_s wrote:CFF stage support these datatypes. ...
So while NDM trasmitting the file from MF to UNIX can I transmit it in ASCII mode or do I need to change the mode to Binary??
nynali
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

That wont change the nature of the signed packed fields. The packed fields can be handled by the CFF stage. Use that.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
bcarlson
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bcarlson »

nynali wrote:
kumar_s wrote:CFF stage support these datatypes. ...
So while NDM trasmitting the file from MF to UNIX can I transmit it in ASCII mode or do I need to change the mode to Binary??
You will need to transmit the file as binary. Since NDM does not know the layout of your file, it will use a 'blanket' assumption that all bytes should map from an EBCDIC character to an ASCII characters. You will end up with garbage in your numeric fields.

Brad.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

I beg to differ. The signed decimal fields from mainframe have their last byte the "sign deciding byte". It might look like junk but its actually not. I have done this before. The file is NDM'd in ascii format so that the ftp does the right switch between mainframe and unix file formats. As for the packed fields, the ftp is not equipped to handle that and switching to binary won't change that.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
bcarlson
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bcarlson »

It is the packed fields that are the biggest concern, not the signed PIC9's - yes, those are easily accommodated.

All I know is that when the files we get from the maifnrame are accidentally sent as ASCII, the data is messed up - we have very few instances of signed PIC9's, and tons of packed decimal data. So we just mandate that ALL files from the mainframe are NDM'd in binary mode to avoid any issues. DataStage does the EBCDIC to ASCII conversion just fine, and then there is no issue with the packed data.

Glad your experience has been better.

Brad.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

I guess we both are saying the same thing "half glass empty, half glass full" :)
I was referring to the signed decimal fields. As per ebcdic format files, that might require binary transfer.