Scheduling jobs using Unix Script

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

laknar
Participant

Scheduling jobs using Unix Script

Post by laknar »

I know how to run the job from command line.

can any provide to schedule entire project using Unix Shell Script.

Please provide me Unix Shell Script to Schedule a Project.

Because i am new to Unix.Pls
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Schedule "an entire Project"? Besides that fact that you don't really do that from a UNIX script, I'm not really sure what that means - and I can't imagine anyone needing to do that if I'm guessing right. :?

How about you explain what exactly it is you think you need to do? Take a little more time to lay it all out for us, something more than what you've already said. Forget the "UNIX Shell Script" part, too, just let us know what brought you here and the problem that you're trying to solve. We can help you figure out the right approach from there.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

A project contains all your jobs. You do not - indeed can not - "run" the project. You can run all the jobs in the project, at least in theory, but in what order should they be run, and do you want to include dependencies (even as simple as JobA must succeed and only then can JobB start).

This level of control is usually implemented using job sequences, which offer a graphical way of programming that control as well as interacting with operating system commands, routines and email.

Try to obtain some entry-level DataStage training, such as IBM's DataStage Essentials class.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
pradeepleon
Participant

Re: Scheduling jobs using Unix Script

Post by pradeepleon »

laknar wrote:I know how to run the job from command line.

can any provide to schedule entire project using Unix Shell Script.

Please provide me Unix Shell Script to Schedule a Project.

Because i am new to Unix.Pls
You may find the answer for your question looking at this script.

http://groups.google.lt/group/comp.unix ... d2b1?fwc=1
Thanks,
Pradeep

(Ten Hugs And Nine KisseS - THANKS)......is that true?

In GOD we trust,for all others we take cash.
laknar
Participant

Scheduling all the jobs in a Project

Post by laknar »

chulett wrote:Schedule "an entire Project"? Besides that fact that you don't really do that from a UNIX script, I'm not really sure what that means - and I can't imagine anyone needing to do that if I'm guessing right. :?

How about you explain what exactly it is you think you need to do? Take a little more time to lay it all out for us, something more than what you've already said. Forget the "UNIX Shell Script" part, too, just let us know what brought you here and the problem that you're trying to solve. We can help you figure out the right approach from there.
I would like to shedule all the jobs in a project.

Can any provide script for an Sample project with dependency jobs.

Is it possible to create a batch file(in datastage) to schedule.

if possible advice me that also.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It is possible to create a batch, but all you get there is sequential (consecutive) dependency.

Do you really want to execute ALL the jobs in the project? What would that achieve?

Far better is to create a job sequence, in which you have all the controls a scripting language has, without the need to write a script.

Read the Parallel Job Developer's Guide or on-line help for more information about job sequences. No-one here is going to do it for you except, perhaps, in exchange for money.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.