what goes to oracle enterprise stage's reject

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

djoni
Participant

what goes to oracle enterprise stage's reject

Post by djoni »

I have an Oracle enterprise output stage in a job. What kind of errors in input records cause the records to go to the reject link of the stage? (the method of the stage is set to Upsert).
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

A bunch of errors. The list is vast. In general, anything thats against the rules of table definition will be rejected. Like data truncation errors, date format incorrect, fk constraints etc. etc.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
gbusson
Participant

Post by gbusson »

Hi,

you can catch the Oracle error code, after the row.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The row from the input link plus an extra column called sqlcode.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
djoni
Participant

Post by djoni »

ray.wurlod wrote:The row from the input link plus an extra column called sqlcode. ...
Can you please send me a small job that demonstrates a case, any simple one, where a bad input record goes to the reject link? With two input records, one bad, one good, and the Oracle table's DDL (two or three column).
My email is djonid@gmail.com.
Thanks a lot.
Djoni
sud
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sud »

djoni wrote:
ray.wurlod wrote:The row from the input link plus an extra column called sqlcode. ...
Can you please send me a small job that demonstrates a case, any simple one, where a bad input record goes to the reject link? With two input records, one bad, one good, and the Oracle table's DDL (two or three column).
My email is djonid@gmail.com.
Thanks a lot.
Djoni
I just shared your email with a friend who loves to bust mail servers with spam :lol: :lol:
It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for ETL, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

your funny sud :lol:
djoni, no one here is going to demonstrate to that elaborate extent due to time constraints. I suggest you go through formal training or work under an experienced developer to mentor your where in depth training and demostration is possible.
Your query is not that hard, at all. Pass two records with identical primary keys to a table with insert option. One will be inserted, the other will go down the reject link.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
sud
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sud »

DSguru2B wrote:your funny sud :lol:
haha hey djoni .. sorry, cudnt resist the temptation of cracking a joke :!:
It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for ETL, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous.
djoni
Participant

Post by djoni »

sud wrote:
IBM Support said the reject link did not work!!!
djoni
Participant

Post by djoni »

djoni, no one here is going to demonstrate to that elaborate extent due to time constraints. I suggest you go through formal training or work under an experienced developer to mentor your where in depth training and demostration is possible.
Your query is not that hard, at all. Pass two records with identical primary keys to a table with insert option. One will be inserted, the other will go down the reject link.
Even IBM Support could never make it work
djoni
Participant

Post by djoni »

It's OK. Good luck with your friends trying to crack gmail
sud
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sud »

djoni wrote:
sud wrote:
IBM Support said the reject link did not work!!!
You are kidding ! It works and works big time. Just try it!!
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

For primary key being the same for two or more records, if you use Upsert method then you might not see rejects as the very first one will be inserted and the second and so on, will be updates. Choose upsert method and then you will see. I am surprised IBM said the reject does not work.
Last edited by DSguru2B on Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djoni
Participant

Post by djoni »

DSguru2B wrote:For primary key being the same for two or more records, if you use Upsert method then you might not see rejects as the very first one will be inserted and the second and so on, will be updates. Chose load or just insert method and then you will see. I am surprised IBM said the reject does not work.
When you have a reject link with Load, you can never remove the warning sign on the stage!
The reject link is applicable for Upsert only, applicable but does not work, that's it
sud
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sud »

When you have a reject link with Load, you can never remove the warning sign on the stage!
The reject link is applicable for Upsert only, applicable but does not work, that's it
All jokes apart, it WORKS. And yes, you are right, it is applicable only for upsert mode. Just try it, everybody uses it !! And, a sample from anyone will not help you since the db connections won't be valid at your end. Infact, what you are totally ignoring is that this is one of the most simple things to do. So just give it a try and if it doesn't work, we will walk you through it.