4 nodes 10 stages

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bhaggu
Participant

4 nodes 10 stages

Post by bhaggu »

i have 4 nodes in my config file and 10 stages,so how many prosessors do i need?
Ultramundane
Participant

Re: 4 nodes 10 stages

Post by Ultramundane »

one
mctny
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: 4 nodes 10 stages

Post by mctny »

bhaggu wrote:i have 4 nodes in my config file and 10 stages,so how many prosessors do i need?
more than zero
Thanks,
Chad
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Are you both having fun with the poor guy :wink:
Bhaggu, what exactly do you want to know. A single processor is required for your stuff to execute. In px jobs, the number of processors is irrelevent per se. Its the number of nodes that decides how much parallelism will be incorporated.
Is this an interview question :roll: ?
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
mctny
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by mctny »

No no , not trying to have fun with him, but really the answer to his question is , any number of processors ( except zero) is fine.

I think ( it is just a guess), it is an interview question and what he is trying to ask is how many PROCESS will there be during the run time?

Is it what you are trying to ask?
Thanks,
Chad

Post by ray.wurlod »

Zero processors is OK too. Comes under the heading of getting a life.

The number of nodes in the configuration file determines the degree of parallelism. At a simple level, each stage generates one operator (player process) per node, there is one section leader process per node, and there is one conductor process. With 10 stages, that comes to 45 processes. If they are all sufficiently lightweight, one CPU might be able to cope.

This simple explanation rarely holds, as several optimizations might take place, including operator combination (more than one operator in a single player process), composite operators (more than one operator for a single stage), removal of redundant operators, insertion of tsort and buffer operators.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
csrazdan
Participant

Post by csrazdan »

You will have -
Controller Process = 1 for the job
Section Leader = 1 per node = 4
Player = 1 per node per stage = 1*4*10 = 40

You will have total 45 processes for this job.

Hope it helps...
Assume everything I say or do is positive
splayer
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by splayer »

csrazdan, I thought the Section Leader process is one of the 10 player processes? Is it not?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It is not.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
DSRajesh
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DSRajesh »

Hi All

Can i know what are these section leaders and players etc...
RD
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Yes.

And it's all in the manuals.