I'd like to use "LIKE", but I can't.

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Richard615
Participant

I'd like to use "LIKE", but I can't.

Post by Richard615 »

I'm going buggy looking through Oracle-related postings, and so far haven't seen this issue addressed.

Basically, I'm creating user-defined SQL in an Oracle Enterprise stage. I want to use the LIKE constraint in my SQL with a variable, but I can't get it to work. As in:

WHERE COL1 LIKE '%ORCHESTRATE.KEYFLD'

The reason is that Oracle requires me to put quotes around the qualifying string (which contains the % character). But putting in the quotes (either single or double) passes the variable name as a literal. But I obviously need the variable resolved.

If I was doing this in shell scripting I would simply use double instead of single quotes - but in DS that doesn't seem to make a difference. I could probably add the '%' character to the qualifying variable upstream, and lose the quotes altogether, but for reasons I won't get into here I reeeeeally want to avoid doing that.

Any ideas as to what syntax I can use (if any) to make this happen?

Thanks,

-> Richard
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Odd behaviour! Sounds like a bug: there's no good reason to treat it as a literal string. Have you involved your support provider?

Then again, ORCHESTRATE.KEYFLD is not a value - it's a reference to a property. So maybe you do need to build the comparison string upstream.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I think it's the %ORCHESTRATE.KEYFLD, DataStage isn't recognising it as a field so it is passed through as a string. Have you tried some type of SQL concatenation like ''' || '%' || ORCHESTRATE.KEYFIELD || '''. Excuse my Oracle syntax, it's been a long time and I'm working from memory.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I don't think that's possible in a WHERE clause. Only in a SELECT clause. But I could be wrong. Don't have access to an Oracle database today to test it.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Richard615
Participant

Post by Richard615 »

Thanks all.

Using the "||" concatenation did the trick. Previously I was trying the '%':KEYFIELD syntax, attempting to have DS resolve the combined string. Which, as I mentioned, resolved to '%'Value instead of '%Value'. I feel like a wee bit of a chowder-head that I didn't think to try having Oracle perform the string concatenation instead.

D'oh!

Thanks again,

-> Richard