Handling static params with ETL appn.

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

videsh77
Premium Member
Premium Member

Handling static params with ETL appn.

Post by videsh77 »

Hi

If I want use static params for my ETL application, how am I supposed to pick their values using file?

We have developed DS jobs having userid, password, dbname & schema as an individual job parameters in the development. As we will be moving from Dev -> Sys Test, we will have to open each & every job to modify values which will correspond to Sys Test environment. Modifying jobs in Sys Test is BIG NO.
Even if I intend to take these parameters into the PROJDEF, I will have to access them using '$' qualifier within the DS Job. This involves lot of modification.

Isnt there any way, where we can preserve this static info in a file including password with encrypted format.

How can we achieve the same?
Thanks with regards,
videsh.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Handling static params with ETL appn.

Post by chulett »

videsh77 wrote:Modifying jobs in Sys Test is BIG NO.
No time for a proper answer, but wanted to point out that no 'job modifications' would be involved in this. You simply need to use the 'Set Defaults' option from the 'Job' menu in Director to override the default value of the parameter.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

You can switch your standard job parameters into project specific job parameters by exporting your development file to a dsx export file and running various search and replace commands on parameter names. I discussed these type of parameters in detail in DataStage tip: using job parameters without losing your mind. You can also use the copy parameter utility from Ken Bland that I described in hacking job parameters. This lets you switch across from job parameters to project specific parameter quickly but you would still need to modify all jobs to add the $ to stage property fields or use search and replace on an export file.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Does the copy parameter utility support encrypted environment variables?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.