CFF Index file Problem...

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

g_rkrish
Participant

CFF Index file Problem...

Post by g_rkrish »

Hi,

I have index cobol file...I tried to convert that by using CFF stage in server i gave both the option like the binary and the other but still it shows junk data...The file is indexed file...Also when i tired the same in Parallel it shows the same....I tired with various option it shows the same junk data...i could not figure out where it is going wrong..We have one tool to conver the copy books mainframe file to a flat file in that when we use the same file there is no problem so i felt there is no problem with copy books or the source fikle..so i think i am doin some thing wrong..If any body have dealt with index type of cobol files and can help me out will be great

Thanks,
RK
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Index files? You mean like ISAM or VSAM? You won't be able to read them directly except possibly via ODBC with the right drivers. Or via a COBOL program.

Best to arrange to get the data dumped to a flat file.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
g_rkrish
Participant

Post by g_rkrish »

chulett wrote:Index files? You mean like ISAM or VSAM? You won't be able to read them directly except possibly via ODBC with the right drivers. Or via a COBOL program.

Best to arrange to get the data dumped to a flat file.

Can you explain me how can we do with ODBC stage....Thanks in Advance...
RK
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Never done this, hence the 'possibly' part. And it would require purchasing ODBC drivers for this, nothing ships with DataStage that would handle the files in question. Or something like an iWay Adapter for VSAM or whatever you needed to access.

Since either would need to be purchased, I'll stick with the 'Best to arrange to get the data dumped to a flat file' advice I gave earlier. :wink:
-craig

g_rkrish
Participant

Post by g_rkrish »

chulett wrote:Never done this, hence the 'possibly' part. And it would require purchasing ODBC drivers for this, nothing ships with DataStage that would handle the files in question. Or something like an iWay Adapter for VSAM or whatever you needed to access.

Since either would need to be purchased, I'll stick with the 'Best to arrange to get the data dumped to a flat file' advice I gave earlier. :wink:
Actually the file that we have are ISAM files...Also As i am using latest version of Information Servers does that version support ISAM files?
RK
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Don't ask me, I don't have it yet. I doubt it does but that really should be a question to your Support provider.
-craig

bharathappriyan
Participant

Post by bharathappriyan »

Hi,

Please try with Data format as EBCDIC.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

What options did you try in px sequential file stage? Did you try, Format tab, under 'Defaults', String ----> Export EBCIDIC as ASCII ?
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
g_rkrish
Participant

Post by g_rkrish »

DSguru2B wrote:What options did you try in px sequential file stage? Did you try, Format tab, under 'Defaults', String ----> Export EBCIDIC as ASCII ?
I used the CFF stage...but As you said i tried using the SEQ file stage setting the option you said i get the following error

##E IIS-DSEE-TOIX-00158 11:59:31(000) <Sequential_File_50,0> Error reading on import.
##E IIS-DSEE-TFRS-00061 11:59:31(001) <Sequential_File_50,0> Consumed more than 100000 bytes looking for record delimiter; aborting
##E IIS-DSEE-TOIX-00179 11:59:31(002) <Sequential_File_50,0> Import error at record 0.
##E IIS-DSEE-TFOR-00089 11:59:31(003) <Sequential_File_50,0> The runLocally() of the operator failed.
##E IIS-DSEE-TFOR-00089 11:59:31(005) <APT_CombinedOperatorController,0> The runLocally() of the operator failed.
##E IIS-DSEE-TFPM-00040 11:59:31(006) <APT_CombinedOperatorController,0> Operator terminated abnormally: runLocally did not return APT_StatusOk
##E IIS-DSEE-TFSC-00011 11:59:37(000) <main_program> Step execution finished with status = FAILED.

thanks,
RK
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

My bad. Not the String, but under General, provide the Character Set as EBCDIC and Data Format as binary.
Along with that, set the Record Length as fixed and Final Delimiter as end.
Set up the each column properly in the column tab (I mean the metadata).
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You sure you have ISAM files? They were replaced by VSAM ages ago from what I recall. Regardless, I really don't believe they can be accessed via a Sequential File stage - but what the heck, give it a shot. It's all good clean fun. :wink:
-craig

g_rkrish
Participant

Post by g_rkrish »

DSguru2B wrote:My bad. Not the String, but under General, provide the Character Set as EBCDIC and Data Format as binary.
Along with that, set the Record Length as fixed and Final Delimiter as end.
Set up the each column properly in the column tab (I mean the metadata).
I did the way you said i get following error

##E IIS-DSEE-TOIX-00179 12:32:12(002) <Sequential_File_50,0> Import error at record 1.
##E IIS-DSEE-TFOR-00089 12:32:12(003) <Sequential_File_50,0> The runLocally() of the operator failed.
##E IIS-DSEE-TFOR-00089 12:32:12(005) <APT_CombinedOperatorController,0> The runLocally() of the operator failed.
##E IIS-DSEE-TFPM-00040 12:32:12(006) <APT_CombinedOperatorController,0> Operator terminated abnormally: runLocally did not return APT_StatusOk
##E IIS-DSEE-TFSC-00011 12:32:18(000) <main_program> Step execution finished with status = FAILED.

Thanks for your help....
RK
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

You know what. Craig is right. VSAM cannot be accessed by sequential file stage. The files that I have at my current site are flat files with binary data (which triggered my suggestion) and not VSAM files. So, forget my suggestion altogether. Wait for someone to come by and shed some light on this. I think CFF stage is the way to go.
g_rkrish
Participant

Post by g_rkrish »

DSguru2B wrote:You know what. Craig is right. VSAM cannot be accessed by sequential file stage. The files that I have at my current site are flat files with binary data and not VSAM files. So, forget my suggestion altogether. Wait for someone to come by and shed some light on this. I think CFF stage is the way to go.
you are right...I fixed the error but it shows same junk data as it showed in the CFF stage...I am going try calling IBM to check and see whether they support VSAM or ISAM files...If any body can can help me out with will be great.....
RK
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

From Parallel Job Developer's Guide (version 7.5), Chapter 10 (Complex Flat File Stage):
When used as a source, the stage allows you to read data from one of more complex flat files, including MVS datasets with QSAM and VSAM files.
When used as a target, the stage allows you to write data to one or more
complex flat files. It does not write to MVS datasets.
In version 8.0, the Complex Flat File stage supports Multi Format Flat (MFF) file. Constraints can be specified on the output links to filter data and/or define when a record should be sent down the link.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.