Migration Term not clear

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mystuff
Premium Member
Premium Member

Migration Term not clear

Post by mystuff »

Hi,

Can someone explain my questions in simple words (yet with complex details)

a) Parallel Extender is used for multi processing capability... Is it Multi Processor on Single Server Only or Processors on Multi Server as well.
b) I have browsed through plenty of answers but wasn't able to understand about migration at all. All I was able to understand is - We can have server jobs incorporated along with parallel jobs (ie. they both can co-exists in the same project)

i) one JobActivity in a sequence can call server job and other a parallel job, The server job called by the sequence will not be using parallel processing capability. Is this TRUE?
ii) If we want to use earlier routines created during server jobs, we need to use basic transformer. Is it True?
iii) We can have shared containers within a parallel job, the shared container can be calling server job functionality (like hash file). Will this container be programmed to have parallel processing ability or no.

c) We are using Server Edition for 2 million records. How many records will make the pronounced difference in performance with Parallel (will it be 10 million or 50 or 100)?

Could someone answer these, I can then progress with my thoughts.

Thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

a) SMP, cluster and grid environments are all supported

b) that's true, so what don't you understand?
i) no - there is only one kind of job sequence, and it can invoke any mix of server jobs, parallel jobs and other job sequences
ii) BASIC Transformer or server job or server job components in server shared container in parallel job (subject to certain restrictions that you can learn from Parallel Job Developer's Guide Chapter 2)
iii) subject to certain restrictions that you can learn from Parallel Job Developer's Guide Chapter 2

c) It depends on too many variables - no sane person will ever quantify such a vague requirement.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.