APT_ORACLE_PRESERVE_BLANKS

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ivannavi
Premium Member
Premium Member

APT_ORACLE_PRESERVE_BLANKS

Post by ivannavi »

ArndW says in one of his posts:
please read the Parallel Job Advanced Programmer's Guide , page 6-25 for the specific information for the APT_ORACLE_PRESERVE_BLANKS information;
I haven't found this in my version of the guide, but there is something similar called APT_ORACLE_LOAD_DELIMITED. Nevertheless I see neither APT_ORACLE_LOAD_DELIMITED nor APT_ORACLE_PRESERVE_BLANKS listed in environment variables in Administrator. Is this version dependent?
Installation on this site is 7.5.1.1.

The guide also says:
There are additional environment variables, however. This chapter
describes all the environment variables that apply to parallel jobs. They
can be set or unset as you would any other UNIX system variables, or you
can add them to the User Defined section in the DataStage Administrator
environment variable tree.
It doesn't say how to do this. I have tried putting this as a user defined variable, but it ended up at the beginning of the ctl file instead of just before the INTO keyword, so it produced an error.

So, my question is how to use these two options (which seem to me non existing)?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

They are listed exactly as Arnd notes in my 7.5.1A version of the document. There's a discrete section for 'Oracle Support' in the Environment Variables chapter. Does your manual not have a Chapter 6 with a section of Oracle variables in it? You seem to be quoting from it. I don't know why you'd have the one but not the others. :?

Since these are environment variables, they can be set like any other - inside or outside of DataStage. Your dsenv file or a .profile would be two examples of places you could do this. Sounds like you tried to do something in the Oracle stage itself?

They will only be 'listed in the Administrator' if you create them there. Projects / Properties / Environment, then select the User Defined branch on the LHS and just add them on the RHS in the grid control much like anything else in DataStage. They will then be available for all jobs. You could then include them specifically in a job's parameter list if you needed to override them in a particular job.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ivannavi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ivannavi »

My document version is:
Version 7.5
June 2004
Part No. 00D-030DS705

There really isn't APT_ORACLE_PRESERVE_BLANKS anywhere in the document. I just need to let people know this, so they don't get desperate when they can't find something that everyone is talking about.

Now some weird stuff. This option really appears in the control file generated by the oracle stage, but you can put anything as the value.
I have tried true, false, poo and blank. It always works the same! Cool. 8)
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Part No. 00D-030DS751
December 2004

They must have rectified the oversight. And yes, the value doesn't matter. If it is 'set' the option is in effect.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ivannavi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ivannavi »

Thanks!