Read From Dataset is slow

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bi_fujitsu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Read From Dataset is slow

Post by bi_fujitsu »

Hi

I am having two jobs. In the first job i am creating a dataset using Auto Partitioning. This dataset once created contains around 45k records, Its taking only 10 seconds in creating this dataset. In the 2nd job i am using this dataset as source to update an oracle table and the method i am using is upsert. Here also i am using the auto partitioning. But in this job the read from dataset is veru slow about 60 recs /sec. I am not sure where i am going wrong. Plz. help me in improving the read performance of dataset.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's almost certainly not the read from the Data Set that's slow.

To prove this create a copy of the job but replace the Oracle Enterprise stage with a Copy stage or a Peek stage. Run that job to get an estimate of the true read speed of a Data Set.

That means that the problem must be with upsert. Think about what upsert does - the potential exists that, on average, more than one SQL statements will need to be executed for each row processed. If all the rows are to be inserted consider using direct write rather than SQL.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

This is the phenomenon that Ken likes to call 'back pressure'. Your target stage can only handle the numbers you see.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

DSguru2B wrote:This is the phenomenon that Ken likes to call 'back pressure'. Your target stage can only handle the numbers you see.
:D It's good to see others remembering!
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I think it's a great descriptive moniker for the phenomenon. :D
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

kcbland wrote: :D It's good to see others remembering!
Always remeber your posts, almost word for word :)
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's what electrical engineers know as "back emf" (which I learned in my BE degree in the 1960s).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.