File Pattern for Sequential File Stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Ed Purcell
Premium Member
Premium Member

File Pattern for Sequential File Stage

Post by Ed Purcell »

If I specify a File Pattern for the source on the output tab of a sequential file stage (and pull in data from multiple files) is there any way to know the name of the file that is coming in as each record is read in?
EPCCTX
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Yes, there is. There is a property for that, cannot remember it off of my head, but there is. I think its called File Name or something. Shortly someone will come along with specifics. Or I can check tomorrow and let you know.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

DSguru2B was referring to "File Name Column" option. You ll get the corresponding file name for each row.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
Ed Purcell
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Ed Purcell »

Thanks, I see it now. "File Name Column" is an option on the sequential file stage.

Ed
EPCCTX
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

If that answers the question, you can mark the post as resolved.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
Ed Purcell
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Ed Purcell »

Whoops!

When I specify a file pattern for the output source and then enter something like ABC* for the file pattern, the sequential stage reads in the multiple files just fine, but the File Name Column reports the file name as ABC*. I was hoping that it would give it as ABCRestOfFileName. Any suggestions?
EPCCTX
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I know that issue has been discussed before, don't recall the resolution. Search the forums for 'file name column' and see what turns up.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

More specifically, Craig's last reply in this post.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.