File & data level validations

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Narayana
Participant

File & data level validations

Post by Narayana »

Hi,

I recently started working on DataStage PX and wanted to do file and data level validations. Please help by throwing some light on how to go ahead.

Regards,

Nari
rachitha
Participant

Post by rachitha »

hi Narayana

Welcome aboard :)
What is the source and give the details of what validation you want to do.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Do you have any validation on the file name with Dates? As mentioned, you need to explain clearly on what exactly you looking for.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
Narayana
Participant

Post by Narayana »

my main aim is to know why we do validations in file level as i know checking the validation of the data for nulls, correct format, alpha characters in the numeric columns.

I hope it is clear.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

There are implicit metadata validation and conversions that the stages perform without any code and explicit validation and conversion that you can encode into a Modify or Transformer stage via functions. Generally if data comes from a database most of it can be left as implicit - an integer field out of a database table will always be integer. If you have a free text field such as date or address you will want validation and conversion in one in a transformer to convert from character to date.

You could read every field in as varchar 255 and do validation and conversion on every single field but this is inefficient and time consuming and would only be required if the source data metadata was completely unreliable between each run.
Narayana
Participant

Post by Narayana »

Thanks for your reply vmcburney...i could get good knowledge from your explanation about data validation.

but why do you we need file level validation and how do we do that using the stages in parallel extender.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

As noted - perhaps you should define what you mean by 'file level validation'. Otherwise, people have to guess.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Narayana
Participant

Post by Narayana »

how should i do that....
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

... are you the Moderator ?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.