Jobs Executing slower when called from Job sequence

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

via
Premium Member
Premium Member

Jobs Executing slower when called from Job sequence

Post by via »

Hi,

We have 12 jobs in a job sequence.When we run that job sequence, the job activities in the sequence are taking long time to start and to get finished as well. But the same jobs which were called in job sequence are executing much faster when they are executed separatly(i mean out side sequence).

Are we missing to set any options for getting jobs executed much faster?
We are using Datastage v8.0.1 on windows.
Any ideas?

Thanks....
Via
-------------------------------------
Learn all the way, as you Grow each Second
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Are these sequence jobs running in sequence or some of them are fired off simultaneously?
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
via
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by via »

Hi Brian,
All jobs are running in the sequence.

Thanks
Via
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Are you doing anything else in the job sequence, like running any routines or os level commands etc.?
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
via
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by via »

We are using execute command activity at the end of sequence just to create a file indicationg sequence is success and using wait for file activity at the beginning of sequence..

Thanks
Via
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Well that might be taking time. I dont know. Check the log for each individual job's start time and end time. See how much time is taking for these extra stages.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

There's no option you are missing. There's nothing magical about a Sequence job that would make the jobs it runs run slower. What you are probably seeing is a performance hit from running multiple jobs at the same time, rather than singleton runs outside of the Sequence job's control.

Any chance of that? If you're not sure, describe the design of your Sequence job.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
via
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by via »

The wait for file activity and execute command activities are running fine.Only the jobs are taking time to start.I checked the logs, a job(not other activities) is taking longer time to start from the job sequence than it takes when executed individually.

Thanks
Via
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Please define exactly what you mean by "taking longer time to start". :?
-craig

via
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by via »

I am posting the messages from log...It is taking longer time to get 5th message after 4th message.Where as when we run the same job separatly its taking less time to finish.

1>JOB_SEQUENCE_3..JobControl (DSWaitForFile): File'Source_files\cobol_file.txt' is already present

2>SEQUENCE_3 -> (COMPANY): Job run requested

3>SEQUENCE_3..JobControl (DSRunJob): Waiting for job COMPANY to start
4>SEQUENCE_3..JobControl (DSWaitForJob): Waiting for job COMPANY to finish

5>SEQUENCE_3..JobControl (DSWaitForJob): Job COMPANY has finished, status = 1 (Finished OK)

Thanks
Via
via
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by via »

I am sorry to mention this in my previous post..
its taking long time to get message 4

thanks
Via
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Getting the message and the actual run times are two different things.
Do me a favour, clear your log file. Clear the &PH& folder while no one is running thier jobs in that particular project. The response time will increase.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

How many jobs are you running simultaneously? And since you did not include the full text of your log messages - what times were logged for steps #3 and #4?

Oh, and what he said.
-craig

kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Watching this thread is amusing. :x Open Performance Monitor and point at your DS server. Get monitors going on CPU and disk performance. Start your Sequence running. When you see the CPU and disk utilization go up, EVERYTHING SLOWS DOWN.

You can't say something is slow until you have a gauge running that indicates server utilization. "Slow" means you have plenty of resources but your throughput is low. You don't have infinite computing power, you have only so much, how you distribute it (multiple processes simultaneously executing) is up to you. Too many processes just means everything looks "slow". :x
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Ken, I dont think he needs to go that far. I think he is looking at the wrong thing and assuming its something else. The response time for an entry to show up in the log is different than its actual run time. Lets see after he clears the logs and clears the PH folder, if he is experiencing the same thing then looking at a monitoring tool would be the direction to go.
Right ??? or am I missing something here?