Sequential File in EE

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sami
Participant

Sequential File in EE

Post by sami »

Hi,
I am new to DataStage EE. I have to combine 2 files in one sequential file. Reason being I need to bring one column from this other file, and take all columns from first file. If I specify these file names separately and use "read specific files" in read pattern, will this append this extra column to other columns? Please Advice.

Thanks
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

No. It will read it one by one. For appending you need to join them. Do you have a key on both the files, on which the files will be joined?
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
sami
Participant

Post by sami »

Yes. I used a JOIN Stage and it worked. Thanks
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Great. You can mark your post as "Resolved" then. :)
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
timsmith_s
Participant

Post by timsmith_s »

I have a similar situation - two sequential files going into a join. However, for a join to work, the links must be sorted/key partitioned.

What would be best practice - set the sort/part keys on the output link of the sequential files or have an explicit sort stage between each file-to-join links?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can only specify sort on the input link(s) to a stage.

On-link sorting and Sort stage perform exactly the same sort function, using a tsort operator. However an explicit Sort stage gives you better control over the amount of memory allocated for sorting, and to specify that the data are already sorted - if this is known to be true - so that they do not have to be re-sorted.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.