For new Parallel Jobs which Version better 7.5 or Hawk?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

pxr87
Premium Member
Premium Member

For new Parallel Jobs which Version better 7.5 or Hawk?

Post by pxr87 »

we are planning to start developing parallel Jobs and currently we had DS 7.5.2 enterprise edition. IBM recommends to go to Version 8 and then start developing saying there are conversion issues from 7.5 to 8 for parallel Jobs?. I am not sure whether they are trying to sell Version 8?. which one you recommend?
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Thispost seems to have a poster who is claiming the same.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Are you seeking my opinion as a technician or as an IBM shareholder? :lol:
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
csrazdan
Participant

Post by csrazdan »

Version 8.0 has some good additional development tools for resource and performence estimation but product is not stable yet. If I were you I would stay on 7.5.x untill IBM does not release 8.2.x.
Assume everything I say or do is positive
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Assuming that version 8 is not as stable (as is true of any version 0 of a product is) two incentives of accepting the risk and going with the new release would be the slowly changing dimension stage and the six new QualityStage stages. Both could save you a lot of dev time and make for more robust data integration.
If you are concerned about supporting your environment in terms of performance and resource usage you might be attracted by all the performance reporting that comes out of DataStage 8. Most of these reports are available to an experienced administrator using third party tools but DataStage 8 makes them much more user friendly.

I've started a new DataStage 8 information page at Squidoo and will update it with new links as I find them. It's at http://www.squidoo.com/DataStage8. It has three lists of links: IBM links, DataStage 8 blog posts and DataStage 8 best forum threads. You can vote on the links to order them or add your own links. I will try to add the best forum links from here as I come across them.
pxr87
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by pxr87 »

[quote="ray.wurlod"]Are you seeking my opinion as a technician or as an IBM shareholder? :lol:[/quote]

As a technician.
pxr87
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by pxr87 »

[quote="csrazdan"]Version 8.0 has some good additional development tools for resource and performence estimation but product is not stable yet. If I were you I would stay on 7.5.x untill IBM does not release 8.2.x.[/quote]

I will be using basic stages in 7.5 and of course performance and ease of usability, I may not even interested in slowly changing dimension stages or quality stages.

I see enough people suggesting to stick to the old version and some people even suggesting that it is not working with the fresh Jobs . I see some advantages with 8.0 like extra tools and no need to convert in future.

so the Question is Does version 8.0 work nicely with basic stages like OCI, seq. files, sequences forgetting new features ?.

I appreciate your feed back.