implict conversion in sequential stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Karine
Participant

implict conversion in sequential stage

Post by Karine »

I'm testing implicit conversion in sequential file stage. The seq file has single column with 7 rows:

aaa
4A
4B8
2006-10-20

My output definition for col1 is Integer as I want any non integer data to be sent to the reject link.

However when I view the data in data browser, I'm getting the following rows :

I'm totally perplexed as I would expect the original rows 2,4,,5,6,7 would be rejected by implicit conversion and should only return

can someone please help my understanding why this is happening and how could I achieve my aim.

Karine
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It is obvious WHAT is happening, WHY is far less apparent. What is the field delimiter, quote and final delimiter character specified? Please also advise the record delimiter property value. Then we can try to reproduce.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Karine
Participant

Post by Karine »

Thanks Ray, The following are my settings:

Record Level Field Delimiter = end, Record delimiter (not specified)
Field Defaults - Delimiter=none, Quote=none
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

What is the metadata specified in your sequential file stage.
Since Field Defaults - Delimiter=none, it is reading only the numeric values that existing in the field.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Now we need to know the data type specified for your single field.

I would imagine, as you did, that if it's integer then the rows containing non-numeric characters should be dropped or sent along a reject-handling link.

I have reproduced this, it also occurs with the record delimiter property set to "UNIX newline" both with and without the final delimiter property. I think you've uncovered a bug, which you need to report through your support provider.

Meanwhile, as a workaround, import the field as a VarChar and test its integer quality in a Transformer stage using the IsValid() function.

Code: Select all

IsValid("int32",InLink.TheField)
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.